Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
thingamajig

Bumper crop due?

I've heard stories about the summer of 76 being a glut year for mushrooms with children selling field mushrooms door to door etc.
Considering we are having what looks to be a hot summer,although late but making up for it now.If we have a good amount of rain towards the end of the summer(fingers crossed)we could be in for a very good year.
Also I have noticed that there seems to be a good year every three years(sometimes not always)and that it will be three years since the glut of 2010.
Anyone else think this could be or what are your theories on this or what makes a good year?
Ta!
dpack

i recon looking in the right place at the right time Wink
Lorrainelovesplants

Id be wary of children selling mushrooms door to door though.
Mistress Rose

In 1976 we had rain in September, which coincided more with the mushroom season. In fact I found that the blackberries didn't ripen until we had rain, so I assume they need water and sun to get there. Makes sense otherwise the seed would be falling into a dry seed bed and wouldn't grow (although I wouldn't put it past blackberries. Smile )
Northern Boy

Well, the rain is here. Fingers crossed! It's been quiet on here all summer.......
fungi2bwith

Not much here, but found a couple of chicken of the woods yesterday.
Northern Boy

Had a quick look at some local spots this morn. They've only produced meagre results in previous years but today they were heaving with small chanterelles. Looking good!
bubble

I think with a little more rain and a lowering of the temps [20-22 day 8-11 at night]we should have a bumper crop this year.Its looking like a good acorn beech mast and sweet chestnut year.
Mistress Rose

It is a good mast year all round; beech, hazel and lots of fruit.
Northern Boy

Had a quick look at some local spots this morn. They've only produced meagre results in previous years but today they were heaving with small chanterelles. Looking good!

CULINARY CARNAGE
"Local man in tears at Gastrovandalism after carefully nutured chanterelle spot is destroyed by single sweep of a Philistine's lawnmower"

Sad
thingamajig

Not a sausage in my woods,was hoping for something after the rain.
Crying or Very sad
RAPTIRE

Hi All

Looks like a good year ahead!!! Laughing

Fridays Haul!!! Porcini, Badius and Chanterelles! Very Happy

Happy Hunting

Steve[/img]
bubble

well done Steve,thats a lovely variety you got there! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Duane Dibbley

Still nothing here.......all we found was a half eaten Russula of some sort Sad

Whereabouts are you Steve ?
Nick

Not a sausage in my woods,was hoping for something after the rain.
Crying or Very sad

I suspect foraging for sausages is optimistic.
RAPTIRE

I am in Lancashire close to cumbria and the Lake District!! bubble

you are lucky RAPTIRE Northern Boy

Great stuff Raptire! Truffle

West Yorkshire: found plenty of hedgehogs, edible russula and big ceps yesterday. Not a good flush yet, but they're there
truffle
thingamajig

Checked out my patches today,not a lot about at all,a few panther cap/Blushers,not sure how to tell the difference so not worth the risk.
I think its still a bit too warm still,will try again next week.
On the plus side though found some field mushrooms on a cricket pitch on the way home and just had them on toast!
DorsetScott

Dorset way I've found Oysters and a single Cep. Also some Russula but they were too far gone to properly ID. Northern Boy

Been pretty good in SW Wales, good flushes of chanterelles and boletus. Truffle

Checked out my patches today,not a lot about at all,a few panther cap/Blushers,not sure how to tell the difference so not worth the risk.
I think its still a bit too warm still,will try again next week.
On the plus side though found some field mushrooms on a cricket pitch on the way home and just had them on toast!

yep, blushers seem to be fruiting all over. Also, i keep finding great Boletus luridiformis - does anyone here eat these?
HKS

Certainly a good start for me; There was a flush of various boletus around here including some penny buns but seems to have slowed now, finding the odd big older ones but not many young ones. No rain for a while here in wilts, hopefully it will also slow the slugs down as there are a lot about.

Blushers and russullas are hard to avoid stepping on in my favourte spot. Not been confident enough to pick the blushers but in the last few days i have found both aminata spissa and panther caps so i'm getting to the point of thinking about picking some....

Lots of beefsteak fungus around, I have seen some slippery jacks, deceivers (amethyst and original), milkcaps, wood mushrooms, stump puffballs, and a very few chantrelles.

I think millers are coming up in an area where i have found penny buns although they could well be something else. Still trying to learn this one. Cheers
fungi2bwith

yep, blushers seem to be fruiting all over. Also, i keep finding great Boletus luridiformis - does anyone here eat these?

I am finding both of these at the moment. I think both are good eating but the blushers have better flavour.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home