Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
quixoticgeek

Bunny for dinner

On my daily walk through my favourite foraging grounds I keep coming across bunnys. They all sit tantilising in the middle of the path just begging for an air rifle. Alas, the land is public, and as I have to walk past the gate house of the local military base (complete with armed guard) to get there, something make me thinking going over there with a rifle might not go down well.

I am pondering therefore the low cost option of making a snare out of wire. Question is, is that anything close to a sensible idea? Has anyone else tried it? What type of wire do people recommend?

Thanks

Julia
Brownbear

If it's public land, snaring is as illegal as shooting without permission, and unless you are trained in their use, they offer a daunting risk of causing suffering or catching somebody's pet moggie.

For anyone wanting to catch bunnies, I'd recommend one of these:

Linky

Put bait in and around it for a few days without setting the trap so that the local bunnies see it as a food dispenser. When you remove the trapped rabbits, either neck them or kill them with a blow to the back of the head with a priest.
Shane

Presumably, you'd need some form of permission before setting those on public land, too?

(If not, I shall be up the back of the golf course by the weekend Laughing )
Bodger

The problem with those rabbit traps is that they are very noticeable and also very pinchable. Your best bet would be to get one of these. Laughing

Jimmy didn't catch hundreds of rabbits, he caught thousands of them.
Brownbear

Shane wrote:
Presumably, you'd need some form of permission before setting those on public land, too?

I would have thought so, otherwise it would probably be classed as poaching. There's a difference in the amount of attention a person would get if they were setting a discreet rabbit trap, or setting a snare, or shooting. The green-keepers would probably be glad if a few bunnies started disappearing - it's probably worth it to have a quiet word.

Landowners are often a bit nervous about letting people onto their land with guns, with good cause, but I doubt many would mind a few harmless traps. Have a word.
Wood child

Is it me or do %90 of Downsizer members come from that insignificant lump of mud they call Wales?
sean

If you're just wandering round the internet looking for a row there are plenty of other places to go. If you'd like to stay here I suggest reading the site guidelines.
kirstyfern

Wood child wrote:
Is it me or do %90 of Downsizer members come from that insignificant lump of mud they call Wales?

Definately not!
Mary-Jane

Wood child wrote:

Would you like to pop over the border and say that to our faces?
Mr O

Wood child wrote:
I think it must be you.
SheepShed

Wood child wrote:

Just when I was starting to get to like you Evil or Very Mad

Do you know that if Wales was flat it would be bigger than England ?
bibbster

Wood child wrote:

Mad Twisted Evil
Jb

Brownbear wrote:
Shane wrote:

I would have thought so, otherwise it would probably be classed as poaching. There's a difference in the amount of attention a person would get if they were setting a discreet rabbit trap, or setting a snare, or shooting. The green-keepers would probably be glad if a few bunnies started disappearing - it's probably worth it to have a quiet word.

Landowners are often a bit nervous about letting people onto their land with guns, with good cause, but I doubt many would mind a few harmless traps. Have a word.

Though it seems to depend where you are. If you're somewhere rural and just asking a farmer if you could walk the field edge with an air rifle you'll probably find it a lot easier than if your in suburbia and asking the local golf club the same question.
matt_hooks

The golf club would probably prefer you to have some kind of public liability insurance as a minimum. If you don't ask, you don't get! Most golf courses will already have someone who does the bunny control, but it's always worth an ask. Smile
Wood child

Jokes. Very sorry. But no, I didn't know that Wales would be bigger than England if it were flat. By the way, was calling Wales insignificant really demanding of a stern reprimand from Mr. Forum monitor?
catbaffler

Yes!
Wood child

Oh. I see.
Wood child

Um... Your'e not Welsh, are you?
catbaffler

Yup Wink
Bebo

Um... Your'e not Welsh, are you?

Barry isn't her name, it's where she lives.
Wood child

Don't accuse me of hating Wales. Some of my best friends are Whales!
Wood child

Thank you Bebo for helpful comment.
catbaffler

Don't accuse me of hating Wales. Some of my best friends are Whales!

Sigh.... there's so much I could say but I really can't be bothered....

Other than (as a friendly tip), that to date I've encountered not the tiniest hint of racism, be it jocular or otherwise on this site and I don't expect to either. Perhaps you should embark on a bit of research as you clearly know very little about this "insignificant lump of mud" and its inhabitants.

By the way, which insignificant lump of mud do you live on?
Rusticwood

Wood child wrote:

Just when I was starting to get to like you Evil or Very Mad

Do you know that if Wales was flat it would be bigger than England ?

If wales was flat it would be underwater by now Wink Laughing
Gervase

If Wales was laid out flat, end to end and side to side, it would cover an area the size of Wales. Gervase

...which is bigger than a whole heap of double-decker buses or olympic-sized swimming pools. Rusticwood

Due to local weather it would still be underwater Laughing Wood child

In answer to the "which insignificant lump do you live on' question, I will not dignify it with an answer. Plus, it's not racism. Bodger

As someone whose lived in Wales for 20 something years I was deeply offended by your comments. Not ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Now you know just how seriously some people take themselves on here. For goodness sake folks please lighten up.
Wood child

Thank you Bodger, I agree entirely. Anyways, on the subject of rabbits, why not get an air pistol? It can be smuggled into a pocket or bag, nice and discreet. Might not be enough power, though. Bebo

I'm more offended by the randomness of the comment. What did it have to do with catching rabbits on public land? sean

Thank you Bodger, I agree entirely. Anyways, on the subject of rabbits, why not get an air pistol? It can be smuggled into a pocket or bag, nice and discreet. Might not be enough power, though.

Hilarious. There go my sides again.
Bodger

Hey Sean, don't hide your light under a bushel. I didn't realise you had an interest in shooting and trapping. Tell us what you've been getting up to. thumbup catbaffler

As someone whose lived in Wales for 20 something years I was deeply offended by your comments. Not ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Now you know just how seriously some people take themselves on here. For goodness sake folks please lighten up.

As someone who's lived in Wales for 50 something years I'm old enough to be weary of cheap jibes...

Anyway, back to bunny shooting Wink
Bodger

Obviously not, because you've risen to one. Laughing Behemoth

...which is bigger than a whole heap of double-decker buses or olympic-sized swimming pools.

I thought it was a unit of forest clearance.
Bodger

No thumbup I've just checked and we're definately on the shooting and trapping section. thumbup Behemoth

Do you get stuck half way on the stairs quite a bit? Bodger

No but at least my lift goes to the top floor. Laughing Behemoth

Does it stop on the 13th floor? Bodger

Only if you press the bottom, otherwise it goes right to the top. Simples. sleepy1 Behemoth

Shocked the bottom of what?

Never open the doors on the 13th floor. It's where the dark things live. Keep going on the way to the top.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home