Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
cab

Burdock

Just getting back to the forum on how my Japanese burdock crop has done...

It's great. It's tasty, it's easy to peel the roots and cook them, the only problem is that it's got a bit tough as the season has progressed. Oh, and it's almost indistinguishable from native burdock.

There doesn't seem to be a single large tap root, but each one has produced three or four good sized roots (like large salsify roots). Stir fried they're nice, better blanched first now they're a bit tough.

It has been easy to grow; the seeds soaked overnight, then put into pots, and planted out. Since then I've maybe watered it once or twice, but I've ignored it completely (I think I might have weeded a couple of times early onm but it soon became big enough and mean enough to look after itself).

Planning on a batch of dandelion and burdock, but would you beleive on a weed infested plot like mine I can't find a good sized dandelion Shocked
judith

What does it taste like? Nutty? Parsnippy? Bitter?
(If you say it tastes of burdock I shall throw something at you Evil or Very Mad )
cab

Judith wrote:
(If you say it tastes of burdock I shall throw something at you Evil or Very Mad )

Not toally unlike salsify. Sort of like that but different.

I can't say it's like burdock, eh?

Imagine dendelion and burdock, but not as sweet and without the dandelion...
crackapple

[quote="cab"]
Judith wrote:

Chicken!!
tawny owl

Does that mean it tastes like chicken, or that Judith is one? Or possibly Cab? (either meaning)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home