Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Hairyloon

Burning fat

I've been collecting some waste cooking oil to turn into fuel and some of it is manky horrible grease.

So I am thinking to burn the grease to heat the other oil.
I'm wondering about some kind of wick, and/or a primus type affair.

The wick has obvious advantages in simplicity and not needing a primer, but what sort of wicks?
dpack

bones are good once hot

fire blanket may be tidy

it needs a fair bit of heat in the triangle to get manky fats to burn but one going they are pretty good
RichardW

If you want a good days read mostly about using solid fats then THIS is the thread for you.

It really is worth reading every post.
Hairyloon

it needs a fair bit of heat in the triangle to get manky fats to burn but one going they are pretty good

What? Confused

If you want a good days read mostly about using solid fats then THIS is the thread for you.

It looks interesting, but as you say when I have a day to spare. Confused
Any hints in the mean time?
crofter

Are you sure you linked to the right thread? I read the first 10 or 12 pages last night, but it was about erecting a wind turbine. Although, there are another 50 or 60 pages to go, so maybe the fat burning tech is yet to come!
dpack

[quote="Hairyloon:1087740"]it needs a fair bit of heat in the triangle to get manky fats to burn but one going they are pretty good
What?

air fuel heat is the triangle of fire

i mean best burned in a high temp burn
Hairyloon

What?
air fuel heat is the triangle of fire
Oh. That triangle.
Quote:
i mean best burned in a high temp burn

And suggestions how to do that?
I thought about multiple wicks, but I don't know what to use as wick.
dpack

fire blanket Wink Ty Gwyn

Have you thought about opening a Chip Shop? dpack

a refractory oven with wicks and a door with a vent to adjust airflow

fuel feed could be done several ways
crofter

Oh. That triangle.

I thought he was meaning this triangle...

http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/GL001367.html
toggle

Oh. That triangle.

want. Laughing
Hairyloon

Something like that could work if it had wicks all around the edge.
Colin & Jan

Consider making a Turk burner. I was sceptical until my son Andy made one from an empty LPG cylinder and fire extinguisher body, Will burn any old oil or fat and gets incredibly hot. I light it up and stand drums of vegetable oil on a frame above in order to thin before filtering. Lots of stuff on You tube about them.

Colin
RichardW

Are you sure you linked to the right thread? I read the first 10 or 12 pages last night, but it was about erecting a wind turbine. Although, there are another 50 or 60 pages to go, so maybe the fat burning tech is yet to come!

You must have missed it some how. It starts on page 6 post number 80#
Here is a short extract,

Quote:
Aha! Found a precious hour or two to tinker at last....
I have my Diesel genny rigged up to manually run on the dreaded lard now. Have to change the start/stop valves by hand but - it seems to lurve the old veg!

In fact the lard gets a mention on page 4 post 47# as well.
County4x4

That Frotter chap who wrote the linked thread is a legend - he's been a bit quiet on the Navi forum lately - but loads of members were logging in just to read his latest offerings at one time. He also has his own local radio show now and again - featuring the "Blunt Tools Posse" His expolits, along with those of Speccybloke (a hologram apparantley) , Stoveboy and "the current Mrs.F" are well worth settling down to read!

Andy
Hairyloon

You must have missed it some how. It starts on page 6 post number 80#
Here is a short extract,

Quote:
Aha! Found a precious hour or two to tinker at last....
I have my Diesel genny rigged up to manually run on the dreaded lard now. Have to change the start/stop valves by hand but - it seems to lurve the old veg!

At present, I don't have a suitable generator, and if I did, I don't think I would want to feed it with anything that had not been filtered, and it is the grease that is clogging the filters that I am having trouble with.
Maybe it would filter OK if it was hotter, but there we are getting chicken and egg.

The turk burner looks promising.
RichardW

Read the thread & all will be revealed.

He filters it hot.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home