Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
lowri

Burning paper on a woodstove?

I have masses of waste paper, not the sort of thing you can send for recycling, and not that suitable for shredding, either. I have a Morso which I don't use at the moment, with a chimney liner fitted (silver pipe). The room has too much stuff in it to burn wood, stove too hot. What would it do to the flue if I had a paper fire for an hour once a day? Does paper do terrible things to a flue? I would start with a log or two, and then add paper. Burning it outside takes ages and it goes all over the place if there isn't a mesh over the old oil drum incinerator. Any advice or caveats?
Bodger

I can't help you, I've never burnt any caveats Shocked

Paper used to be wood, so apart from the mess it leaves in the grate, I can't see a problem. Because of that, I think that little and often is probably the best way to get rid of it.
vegplot

Paper is fine, it will burn quite fast a furious so watch out you don't leave vents open otherwise the stove will heat too quickly.

Clay based papers (colour printed magazines, pamphlets etc.) as they tend to smother a fire and don't go down to ash very easily.

I've found burning paper in a stove to be a bit of a faff.
Cathryn

Unless it's very grubby you can stick it in one of the clear recycling bags and it will be collected.
henchard

Why not make paper logs?

http://www.paperlogmaker.co.uk
Dee J

Logs from waste paper only work well with low filler paper - like newspaper - plus you need somewhere to dry them.

Printer paper and similar smooth filled papers burn ok as long as you don't put too much on at once - and the volume of ash will be nearly as much as the paper you start with.

We regularly dispose of confidential papers (work stuff) in the Rayburn - haven't found any resultant damage yet.

Dee
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home