Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Grimnir

Burning sawdust?

A guy on one of my woodburning forums was asking about burning sawdust in a woodburning stove. He said he has one that isn't designed to burn it directly so was hoping someone would know if there's a way of making sawdust 'bricks' like those widgets for making newspaper bricks to burn. Anyone here know of something that could do the job?

Incidentally, sign up to the forum - https://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/ - and you can get a free book (you just pay postage of 2.95). I got one on marquetry Smile
Northern_Lad

From my experience it doesn't really burn, it smoulders and puts itself out. Shavings go up well, though.
Grimnir

He's a woodturner so I'd guess it's pretty coarse stuff. Thing was he said his stove wasn't designed for shavings/sawdust
vegplot

You need a press, a very high pressure, press to make half decent bricks and it doesn't work too well with hardwood sawdust as there's not enough resin to form a natural binder.

I've burnt saw dust directly on a stove and it's not brilliant. The fire is msothered for a while, then bursts into life for 5 mins. A modified pellet stove might work.
Silas

Be very careful whentrying to burn sawdust, if it is not properly dry it can explode - seriously it is quite dangerous.
Rob R

All dusts in air suspension can explode.
sean

Rob R wrote:

Have you done the 'filling a bike pump with cornflour' trick too then?
vegplot

sean wrote:
Rob R wrote:

I could never get it to work. So I used sulphur, charcoal and saltpetre which was much more interesting.
Silas

vegplot wrote:
sean wrote:
Rob R wrote:

I could never get it to work. So I used sulphur, charcoal and saltpetre which was much more interesting.

Like to have seen that -
Rob R

sean wrote:
Rob R wrote:

Not exactly, but working in grain stores you have to be aware of it: http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/hid/din/529.pdf
vegplot

Silas wrote:

Like to have seen that -

A brief but impressive fireball.
Behemoth

Rob R wrote:
Not exactly, but working in grain stores you have to be aware of it: http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/hid/din/529.pdf

In the war a significant part of Hull was flattened when the grainstores were hit in an air raid.
happytechie

it will burn but you'd need to keep it suspended in the air with positive airflow. My dad burns hardwood dust in a cold smoker. the burn chamber is a metal box with a 12v computer fan running at 4v in it. a nice slow current of air over the pile of sawdust keeps it burning.

I would have thought that shavings from a lathe would burn quickly and fiercely.
mousjoos

" I would have thought that shavings from a lathe would burn quickly and fiercely."

That would depend on whether you scrape or cut. Sawdust and shavings should really be separated from one another due the "very high risk of explosion of fine dust when combined with wood chips"; so said the last health & safety inspector to visit my workshop in UK.
12Bore

A Hi-Fi speaker manufacturer in Huntingdon used to vacuum all the MDF dust produced during cabinet making and use it to heat the factory. I believe they used to have a system which pumped the dust into a combustion chamber under high pressure, rather than a boiler. Apparently it is extremely dangerous and should not be tried at home....... Surprised
norb_g

Greetings

I have built a gravitational fed sawdust burning stove. It requires no electricity to make it work.

30-50 mins after initial light it is producing 550deg flue temp and has 900-1100 deg temp coming off of the heat exchanger. This air can be blown off if you mount a squirrell cage fan behind it and you can put duct work inplace to direct the air where needed.

I am interested in amnufactuing these units for sale. Anyone interested please reply.

Norb_G
Jamanda

Welcome to the site Norb! hello2
Mr O

Pellet stoves burn it!
jag_clarke

we have a wood stove which heats our house. we burn mainly ash from a wood which was planted by my farther for firewood. we have a large sawbench and after producing about cuple of tons of wood for the year we get quite a bit of saw dust which we store in old potato sacks. in past it was put in heap outside to rot slowly but it takes a cuple of decades i should think before it was soil if not more. anyway i thought id experiment made a brick mold from wood the size of a standard brick. i then mixed about 75% sawdust and 25% hand shreaded news paper left it to soak. then put it in mold then put brick on top standing on it pressing it. then i left it for 6 mounths to dry. i put it on stove with wood and it burned well glowing/smoldering for hours. i experimented with differnt mixtures, higher paper content bind better but it will produce more ash when burnt. i may try using a little watered down glue to improve them for next winter. i dryied then in an open shead on black plastic as it heats up from sun speeding up drying.
ps avoid coloured newpaper as orange colour contains lead so id rather not put ash on garden from that even tho levels im sure will be very low.
RichardW

vegplot wrote:
Silas wrote:

Like to have seen that -

A brief but impressive fireball.

Dont know how I missed this thread.

You should have put it in a copper pipe sealed at both ends er allegedly cough cough.

Richard
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home