Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Duckhead

burning stubble

On my way home today I had to stop and share a beer with a local farmer.
We watched the fire brigade put out his stubble field that had set its self on fire, somehow.
It reminded me of being a lad when burning stubble was the norm.
So, the question is, did folk used to burn stubble as it was good for the land, or just easier than ploughing it in?
T.G

Re: burning stubble

sfolati wrote:
well in them days there was no sky tv and a lad had to get his kicks where he could i suspect... bet your face hurt - H&S would put pay to any young lad burning stubble - its supposed to be a fetching look isn't it?
marigold

I thought they did it as the most wonderful treat for the local kids Confused .

Happy memories of an East Anglian rural childhood - better than bonfire night in terms of slightly menacing excitement Very Happy .
Duckhead

Re: burning stubble

The.Grange wrote:
sfolati wrote:
well in them days there was no sky tv and a lad had to get his kicks where he could i suspect... bet your face hurt - H&S would put pay to any young land burning stubble - its supposed to be a fetching look isn't it?

I'm old enough to remember when lads were lads, burning your own face, pfft.
chicken feed

Laughing a big part of my childhood summers would be watching and as i got older helping with the stubble fires, as marigold said much more fun than bonfire night
frewen

I think - from what little I recall, that stubble burning got the field "cleared" quickly. It also destroyed pests...

I remember being terrified by it Shocked
vegplot

I used to love doing it. Not sure about the environmental impact as I guess there are just as many con's as there are pro's once you analysed it to the nth degree.
12Bore

We knew it as sweeling (sp) and it wasn't just stubble fields...
Midland Spinner

When I was young the farmers round us had a saying that went "Don't be careless and start stubble fires - Build it properly and do the job right!"
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home