Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Jacqui

Butchering costs

Can anyone tell me what they are being charged by the abattoir/butcher for a lamb to be killed and packed for the freezer?
chicken feed

Wink kill & cut 28 at one and 26 at another we use.
misty07

between 22-26 quid cull and cut
Jacqui

Does the price you are quoting include labelling/vacuum packing/trays and clingfilm or do you just receive the meat in a large plastic bag?
chicken feed

the price includes labelling and bags, a whole lamb/goat in a box.
Nicky Colour it green

21 quid for the last hogget. killed and cut, I packed it.
Lorrainelovesplants

17ish locally (40 miles to us)
Lorrainelovesplants

and roughly butchered in a bag -( no labels)
Nick

About 18 to kill, I think, and 70p a kilo to butcher and vac pack and basic label. Labels will vary in detail, and cost. Who's the label for?
Jacqui

Legal requirement if sold to a consumer Nick. If they charge 70p a kilo to cut then say on a 18.5 kilo carcase just under 15 kilos meat that's about 10 plus your kill at 18 that makes 28.00 for a kill and cut (vac pack and basic label)

It is very interesting how the prices vary around the country. Tregaron abattoir charges 10 to kill a lamb. I suppose that is the wonderful thing about the internet - you would never find these things out.
Nick

Oh, I know. But I meant that my butcher will label it for me with a basic label ("Leg"), for one price, and with a customer legal label with all the information on it for another price. Hence asking who it's for, because it'll mean different prices.
Jacqui

So what am I expecting to pay for a lamb to be killed, cut up, vacuum packed and weigh labelled for retail sale?
chicken feed

Wink as you have seen prices vary slightly from area to area, your best bet would be to ask your local slaughter house what they charge.
Stonehead

A tenner plus vat to the abattoir for a lamb and six bottles of home-brew stout to the butcher. (A pig is a dozen bottles of home-brew and a pound jar of home-made jam.)
Rob R

Stonehead wrote:
A tenner plus vat to the abattoir for a lamb and six bottles of home-brew stout to the butcher. (A pig is a dozen bottles of home-brew and a pound jar of home-made jam.)

The VAT on abattoirs but not butchery has always bemused me - I mean what could you do with a dead beast that is vatable? Confused
sean

Make shoes?
Jacqui

The local slaughterhouse will only kill and cut not pack or weigh label so no good asking chickenfeed.
lottie

Jacqui wrote:
The local slaughterhouse will only kill and cut not pack or weigh label so no good asking chickenfeed.

Yes ---I had great fun sorting out the 5 huge plastic sacks of lumps from 2 big pigs I picked up from Tregaron Laughing but our small vac packer worked fine--I got 2 heads but only 5 trotters--but the rest was fine.
Rob R

sean wrote:
Make shoes?

Now it all becomes clear Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home