dpack

butterfly watch

i just saw one of

these

on the fruity bramble

quite rare and declining which is probably why i didnt know what it was

what rare ones do you folk have?
Jamanda

We have pearl rimmed fritilaries which are rather nice.
dpack

ive seen them daaauun soouuf ,pretty wee flappers
Mistress Rose

We have quite a lot of little white butterflies in the woods which are not small whites. They are either a day flying moth or wood whites, but not sure which.

We have silver washed fritillaries, and I saw a white admiral two days ago. We may have had some purple emperors around, but they have been through so fast it is impossible to say. They are in the wood, and it is a good butterfly year. Saw what must have been a clouded yellow yesterday, as it was the wrong shape for a brimstone.
Mistress Rose

Have been looking at butterflies, and now think what I saw was a female purple emperor not a white admiral, although we have those too. I was rather confused, as a red admiral nearby was so much smaller, which was why I looked it up. I don't think the yellow butterfly I saw was a clouded yellow either. Can someone help me on this as it had completely yellow underwings but was not a brimstone as the shape was wrong.
Nicky Colour it green

Have been looking at butterflies, and now think what I saw was a female purple emperor not a white admiral, although we have those too. I was rather confused, as a red admiral nearby was so much smaller, which was why I looked it up. I don't think the yellow butterfly I saw was a clouded yellow either. Can someone help me on this as it had completely yellow underwings but was not a brimstone as the shape was wrong.

could it be the small veined white - they have yellow undersides. well the boys.. or girls.. one of them
Mistress Rose

Thanks Nicky, I will look that up.
Mistress Rose

Did you mean green veined white? Don't think that was it. Think it must have been a lightly marked clouded yellow as there is nothing else to match it.
Piggyphile

We had swallowtails here last year. They are huge, I am hoping to see them on the buddleja again this year along with more humming bird hawk moths.

Mistress Rose

That is amazing Piggyphile. I have never seen one. We have had humming bird hawk moths though. One year we had so many red admirals, peacocks and painted ladies on the buddleia that it looked as if the garden was taking off when they were disturbed. Only happened once and just for a few days.
frewen

Oh I am so jealous piggyphile ! I want to have those visiting my garden!
Mistress Rose

Notice you are in Galicia Piggyphile. Think it is quite rare to get swallowtails in the UK, even in the south of England, but they are spotted occasionally.
Piggyphile

Yes we are very lucky here, we still have wolves, wild boar, pine and stone martens, loads of birds of prey inc golden eagles, tons of owls, hoopoes, cuckoos everywhere, woodpeckers and every bug you can imagine. Those are just where I live.
MornieG

We had a visitor indoors yesterday which I managed to catch and release outside, I think it was a purple emperor, closest I can see from info on the net. Very beautiful, the iridescent purple around the 'eyes' on the wings was very pronounced.

Mo.XX
Nicky Colour it green

my impression is purple emperors are very rare and only found in certain areas. I am no expert though.
Mistress Rose

They are a woodland butterfly, and need willow to lay eggs on, then tend to favour woodland with some trees sticking through the canopy for territory markers. They also need oak, so are rather fussy. We are fortunate that we have suitable woodland for them. Think it is limited to the southern parts of England. Not the commonest of butterflies, but as they only come down to the ground for a small part of the time, there are probably more than most people realise.

Piggyphile, think I could do without the wolves and wild boar. Wild boar are supposed to be to both the east and west of us, but not looking forward to when they get to our woods. Apart from anything else they can do a lot of damage to the plants there, and are potentially dangerous. Only thing I am looking forward to is letting the dog walkers know they must keep their dogs on a lead or the wild boar might get them. Very Happy
Nicky Colour it green

Just helped a large tortoiseshell butterfly out of the kitchen, had lots of time to identify it since it was in my hands - they are considered extinct in the UK - so probably a visitor. Wish I had taken a picture but it seemed more urgent to get him out before the cat ate him.

Also saw a pearl rimmed fritillery the other day too.

All the usual suspects are around, small whites, small tortoiseshells, commas, ringlets, gatekeepers, though not seen a peacock yet which is unusual, but I expect they will come.

comma by colouritgreen, on Flickr
dpack

i just saw a small blue in the yard Very Happy

they are supposed to be rare and "only on chalkdown in the south" critters but i know of the few places where limestone railway ballast or lime mortar give their food plants a home in the north
Mistress Rose

We have had peacocks round starting this week; in fact we had several around yesterday, so they may just have emerged. They are really lovely aren't they.

I think it was a large tortoiseshell that a friend of ours found last year, so possibly they aren't extinct as we are also on the south coast but 2 counties along.

It is a marvellous year for butterflies.
Nicky Colour it green

ironically the very day I said I hadn't seen any peacocks - out they came

yes large tortoiseshells are around ont he south coast - possibly flown in from the continent. I am doubting myself now, but was sure at the time wish I had got a photograph.
dpack

not a butterfly but one of these

pillars

fell out of a lime tree and needed a bit of help crossing the A19 to find a pupation site Laughing

im not sure it liked travelling in my pocket but i found it a nice place to do the sleepy soup thing
sueshells

"the sleepy soup thing"

I love that - too cute....and very appropriate.
Mistress Rose

We found a huge caterpillar in the woods once, can't remember which, but one of the hawk moths, and one our volunteer group took it home, photographed it then returned it. We called it Houdini as it kept escaping from the box he put it in. Very Happy

I like your 'sleepy soupy thing' too.
Mistress Rose

We opened the charcoal kiln yesterday that we had been working on Saturday and found a peacock butterfly in it. It must have flown in Saturday and with its wings closed we would not have seen it. You will be glad to know it flew away quite happily.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home