Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Andrea

Buying a woodchipper / shredder

I'm looking to buy a second hand woodchipper / shredder. Has anyone heard of the brand UniTech? Apparently the one I'm looking at has a 9hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard engine and will chip branches up to 9cm. Is there anything special I should be asking / considering? I can't find a match for the one I'm looking at on the net new.
Hairyloon

The name rings a bell, but I can't think where from.
9hp sounds sounds a sensible size for heavy domestic use.
Tavascarow

If you can, ask for a demonstration.
Ty Gwyn

9cm thick branches ,seems a waste of good logs to chip.
Hairyloon

Yes. But it means it will chip big twigs at a sensible rate.
Anything smaller wouldn't.
Andrea

Yes. But it means it will chip big twigs at a sensible rate.
Anything smaller wouldn't.

That's what I'm figuring. I'd imagine anything of 9cm would go on the firewood pile, but it means it wouldn't be working flat out to chip something smaller.
Hairyloon

That's what I'm figuring. I'd imagine anything of 9cm would go on the firewood pile, but it means it wouldn't be working flat out to chip something smaller.
Consider the fractal nature of wood. When it splits, the smaller branches tend to have a similar total cross section, so if you cut the twiggy bit off the end of a 9cm stick and feed it to the chipper, then it is chipping something equivalent to a 9cm stick.

But the line at the bottom is rate of work. A 9cm chipper chips a 3cm stick a lot quicker than a 5cm chipper.
Bodger

We checked the 'Which' website and settled for one that they recommended. A couple of weeks ago, we bought a Bosch AXT 25 D. It performed admirably over the the weekend. Andrea

We're probably having to pay about 5 times that, second hand, for the machine we're looking at. Still pondering.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home