Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
TimNeo

Caffeinated Soap

This is my first post - but not from want of trying! my last login didn't seem to want to authorise (screen went blank) so I've sat there wanting to reply... lurking... but with no success.

I apologise to those in the MSE (moneysavingexpert) forums who also read here...

Basically I've been fascinated by 'caffeinated soap' from a geek site in America - called shower shock.

The cost of importing just two bars of this stuff however is about the same amount as it'll cost to make them myself, not to mention quite how damaging it is to the enviroment to fly them over.

Originally I got interested in soap making from an article on this forum using caustic soda. Having tried many different places I finally got told on MSE to use Glycerine soap which melts down and is a great starter soap!

So on Monday I bought off ebay:
500g of Glycerine clear soap
10ml of Peppermint Essential oil
2g of pure pharmacetical caffeine
1x4oz Soap mould/mold

the caffeine arrived yesterday in a small white baggy - I've been assured by a few people that regardless of how much I add it really won't make the blindest bit of difference in the soap and the active ingredient is actually the peppermint oil.

One receipe asks for 7.5ml of peppermint oil, though a MSE'r says I should only use a few drops. Anyone tried what I'm doing? I'm looking for the fresh tingly feeling from the soap and the caffeine hit where possible ;- )

I'm making two soaps, one with and one without the caffeine to see if there is any difference or whether it really is a placebo effect!
Penny Outskirts

Hi Fallscape - welcome to Downsizer Very Happy

I'm a novice soapmaker, so can't help you with your question I'm afraid, but I'm just fascinated that you can buy little bags of white power from ebay Shocked
judith

What an interesting idea. Probably best if I don't go down that route as I drink far too much coffee as it is, but I do look forward to reading the results of your research!

Sorry to hear you are having no luck finding the caustic soda. Where have you looked so far - and have you been asking for drain cleaner (which is how I buy it)?
TimNeo

I've been asking for 'caustic soda or draincleaner' but to no avail. Boots can't even order it in anymore and I've tried a few chemists. I've been suggested B&Q but I like the idea of glycerine for the first few goes - not sure I could wait a month for it to set as I've only got the one mould at the moment.

Maybe when I've worked out the correct formula to get a consistant result and made a few for my friends for christmas I'll start experimenting with proper homemade soap.

Is Lye the same as caustic soda?
judith

That's really strange - I'm sure I have seen it in our branch of Boots, which isn't very large at all. Lye is indeed another name for caustic soda.

You can use all sorts of things as moulds. I just line an old baking tin with clingfilm and pour it into that, and then slice up the bars. I understand that Pringles tins are popular too!
TimNeo

As for the little white bags...

The facts and the figures suggest that for a 4oz (110g?) bar of soap shower shock use 2.4g of caffeine. My caffeine is pure - not sure what they use in shower shock, but research says that 1g is your maximum daily intake and each wash should provide (from shower shock 200mg)

That said skin is a poor absorber of chemicals and will only absorb around 4% of the 200mg - which even on a good day isn't more than a sip of caffeine. Caffeine is also a very poor sticker - it kinda just washes off, so it would need to be in contact with the skin for a bit to do anything at all...

Meantime the mould looks cool though...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&item=320001033459&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 (soap mould pic...)
TimNeo

All the items (Except the mould - I'm hoping that'll be here tonight...) have arrived so I'll probably do a test batch tonight!

The soap I got off ebay is shockingly clear. I've never seen soap that looks like glass before but this stuff is fairly amazing. It looks like its been stuck in a chocolate mould with the 'chunks' easily seperated with a bit of force.

I'm thinking of doing a small bar in a small bowl with just the peppermint in and using it tomorrow before rushing about in my ambulance. If its refreshing I'll let you know!
cab

Blinking flip, I missed this till now!

Can I just suggest that you're VERY careful with pure caffeine. Its not just going to make you jumpy, if you handle it wrong it'll kill you.

Not sure about skin absorption... (goes off to look).

Ahhh... Also toxic on mucus membranes, intravenous and subcutabeous.

Be really, really careful. Probably be fine diluted in the soap, but till then, be really cautious handling it.
TimNeo

The absolute maximum daily dose I believe is around 1g - I only have 2g and I'd have to really do something stupid to actually get all 2g into me. Short of tipping the packet back into my tea and drinking it...

Yes, diluted in the soap will be fine - I'm doing a bar at a time so shouldn't really be exposed to anything really - my holder only does the one!

What I really need is a good guide on how much peppermint oil to add - some people are saying a few drops but I've been a sniffing the bottle and its not really that strong. I'm really considering a full 7.5ml into the one 4oz bar because otherwise I can see it being a fairly plain bar of soap! I want something that tingles! Twisted Evil
cab

fallscrape wrote:

What I really need is a good guide on how much peppermint oil to add - some people are saying a few drops but I've been a sniffing the bottle and its not really that strong. I'm really considering a full 7.5ml into the one 4oz bar because otherwise I can see it being a fairly plain bar of soap! I want something that tingles! Twisted Evil

I've used mint oils in soap, and I rekon 7.5ml in the two bars will blow you apart Smile I'd be a bit more subtle than that. But I only make soap the cold process way (with lye and fat), I've not got a good grasp of melt and pour.
TimNeo

I'm hoping that melt and pour is just simply shockingly simple (ie the process is 'melt and pour') then stir in said oils when soap is not too hot to evaporate oil

Wonder how the caffeine will react!

The original shower shock receipe seems to have massive amounts of peppermint oil in it... my conclusion is if it doesn't make my eyes stream it's probably not minty enough...

oh and I meant 7.5ml per soap!
wellington womble

You don't have to leave caustic soda soap in the mould for a month - you leave it for 24 hours to set, and then tip it out and wrap it in a towel (or something) in a drawer until you remember, and then wonder which soap it is, and how long its been there! It's traditional.

Can I ask what the benefits of caffeinated soap might be? I've never heard of it.
Stacey

I made some melt and pour soap once and the oils used in it smell much much stronger then in the stuff I made form scratch. I assumed it was because the melt and pour has already gone through it's saponification thang.
TimNeo

Well today I finally got round to making the actual caffeinated batch! Unfortunately most of the caffeine dropped to the bottom of the mold making a thin white layer which was unattractive at best. Some of the caffeine was suspended in the soap adding a nice white speckly effect to the clear minty soap.

Against some of the advice I added a full 7.5ml of peppermint oil to the batch. It smells delightful and assults the senses each time you walk into the bathroom. When using it on the body I get a good tingly effect and none of my delicate bits have dropped off. Obviously make sure you try it carefully in patches on your body and leave it a while before going for a full on body wash!

Oh, and remember I'm not responsible for any of your consequences playing with such concentrated doses of caffeine, peppermint oil or soap ;- )

For those who want to know, the answer is 'no' you do not feel any extra effect from the caffeine - not that I've noticed anyway.
n

I have tried B&Q for causitc soda and failed in several stores, however Homebase sell it, own brand. It's about £3 for 500g.

n
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home