Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
stumbling goat

Campervan hire? Good idea or crazy one

As the title asks really.

I am thinking of buying a campervan, a Transit Duetto.

The idea to hire it out and get some use of it myself.

It is an old one so would be cheap to hire out compared to newer ones out there. And the hirer would be able to relax in it as it has been lived in and so has some knocks and dings. Need not be too prissy about it, within reason. The previous owners had dogs so pets would be okay.

What do you think you might be willing to pay to hire a weathered but pretty good nick campervan for say a long weekend? Or a week to tour around?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

sg
Went

We have friends out here who run a business doing just that - hiring our older camper vans.
http://www.fiestacampervans.co.uk/ Re-locating to Southern Spain this April.
Bebo

Have you looked into insurance cover for hiring it out? It is likely to be much more onerous than for using it yourself (I know it is for boats, having looked into hiring one out in the past).
stumbling goat

Not yet. But thanks, I will check that out. Including only to mature drivers.

What would a reasonable charge be for a weekend or a midweek break? Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

cheers

sg
Chez

There are at least a couple of companies that do it - the one I remember looking at had vintage VW buses and was *horrendously* expensive, to me anyway; something close to a grand a week. (But of course you were paying for the VW thing rather than just a week in a camper). Have you had a google around to see who's already doing it?

I think that it sounds like a reasonable idea, provided the insurance works out. We pay buttons for our Renault T1000 - about 250 pa via the caravan club - but it's bound to be loads more than that if you are hiring it out. I wonder how many weeks you would have to 'sell' to make it break even.
Bebo

Ditto on the insurance for ours. Limited mileage means that its only about 300 a year.
RichardW

The big problem will be what will you do if it breaks down & they are part way through a holiday? You wont have a spare that can be sent out like a company would.
stumbling goat

That is a problem.

sg
onemanband

The big problem will be what will you do if it breaks down & they are part way through a holiday? You wont have a spare that can be sent out like a company would.

And probably an idea to check with your breakdown company that it is covered for rental

Are you renting to people travelling around your area ? Or are you happy to let it be driven across the country and clock up huge mileage ? A mileage limit and charge for extra miles could be an idea.
RichardW

Never mind people taking it abroad. The insurance & break down cover would need to be in place for that too.
stumbling goat

Idea abandoned.... for now.

The van came up about 4 months too early for me to be practical.

Have to think of another scheme?

sg
Hairyloon

The van came up about 4 months too early for me to be practical.

There will be other vans.

I did wonder about operating a van with a cooperative... I decided to worry about it if and when an appropriate van comes my way.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home