Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
astra

Can a dumbo make a Wonderbag???????

I've been looking at the Wonderbag thingies that work like a haybox/slow cooker. They seem very expensive for what they are and I thought I might be able to make one. I found some instructions online but I'm neither very practical nor the sharpest pin in the cushion so can't being doing with fiddling around with a protractor and degrees!!

Please does anyone know of a simple pattern/method for making one of these?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Is it not just a duvet; or am I thinking of something else?
astra

It's a sort of drawstring bag with a circular base, and little panels filled with polystyrene beads that encompass a pot and get drawn up over another circular filled pad on top of the pot and then the lot gets tied with a drawstring.
I'll see if I can do a linky thing but don't guarantee it!! Confused

http://nb-wonderbag.com/
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I bet a pattern for a beanbag or big puffy cushion would give you the right shape? Or just make a cube version?
tahir

I don't think elephants have the necessary dexterity for sewing
Nick

If you started with a duvet, and just made up a net, it couldn't be too hard, I'd guess?
astra

@ Tahir
Laughing and they'd probably stitch in their ear flaps too Smile
astra

Thanks NMG and Nick for your suggestions. I'll have a fiddle and see what happens!!
If it works and is worth seeing I'll post a pic!
marigold

On my "one day" list is a plan to turn a Rosewood meat delivery box and a derelict wool blanket into an insulated cooking thingumy...

Burying a casserole dish in an old duvet in a sturdy box would probably do the trick too. Hayboxes apparently worked, so there's no need to use fancy materials. Also, I expect that polystyrene beads are environmentally dodgy, both in manufacture and disposal.
madcat

I'd make a haybox , if hay gets grubby you can shove in the compost bin and get a fresh lot.
Mistress Rose

Hayboxes were a good way of saving fuel for things that needed a long cooking time. Todays slow cookers are merely a development of them. My mother cooked with a haybox but I never saw her use one, although she told me about it, and also how to stuff a paliasse with straw to make a comfortable mattress, which they did in Guides. We just lay on a groundsheet on the ground.
dpack

a small bit of plywood to put the pot on and a duvet works fine
haybox ditto
super easy to do
astra

a small bit of plywood to put the pot on and a duvet works fine
haybox ditto
super easy to do

Really?? You just put your pot on a board and tuck it up in a duvet and it'll do the job???? That's got to be easier than wonderbags or boxes of hay Very Happy
Mistress Rose

All you are really doing is keeping the heat in. Hayboxes were used in the past because we didn't have duvets in the UK and anyway that sort of thing was used for bedding and too expensive.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home