Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Andrea

Can anyone recommend a green manure?

I'm looking for something that will grow without attention in very dry conditions. We're clearing land prior to planting, but won't get to that stage just yet so could do with putting something useful there. Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers
Bugs

I have tried a few on our garden, which is a few inches of soil above pure solid chalk; the one which thrived most (ie can't get rid of it either) was phacelia.

A number of them say they are "deep rooting" which I assume would be good too...also, don't let chickens on the beds either...

I have a great suggestion though; if nobody reaches any firm conclusions and you have a reasonable amount of space you could try out a few likely candidates and let us know the results! (though even if you only use one I would like to know how you get on).
cab

The ideal green manure is one you can get rid of quickly. It oughtn't be TOO resilient or persistent. For that reason I'd avoid clover. I usually use fenugreek, because it smells great, but take your pick of the others.

As you might normally look to get a green manure in some time around September, dry soils mightn't be too much of an issue.

I usually buy such things from Nickys Nursery (and I post links to her site so often I shouldbe on a commission), and she has a number of green manures:

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/veg3.htm#VEG249UK
judith

Perhaps go for field beans or some other legume. They are nitrogen fixers that should survive the winter, and won't be a menace next year. They also won't mess up your rotation like some of the mustard-type manures. The downside is that they are harder to dig in, of course.
Andrea

Will gladly let you know how I get on with a couple!

Fenugreek sounds attractive actually, now I've looked it up. If it survives these conditions it'll have the added advantage of us being able to eat it!

I think clover is a no anyway, as it only grows wild here around the well where it's damp. Saying that, we've just discovered the old village washing pool under a bramble thicket so we might have enough damp soil for a test run.

Did I read somewhere that fat hen can be used as a green manure? It seems to be springing up everywhere the soil has been turned then left so would be an obvious choice if it can be. And I could harvest the seeds for the chickens too I suppose. I was planning on growing some for us anyway.

I've got so much to do, feeling quite dazed this morning!! Shocked
cab

Andrea wrote:

Did I read somewhere that fat hen can be used as a green manure? It seems to be springing up everywhere the soil has been turned then left so would be an obvious choice if it can be. And I could harvest the seeds for the chickens too I suppose. I was planning on growing some for us anyway.

I don't know whether it's a good green manure, but it's certainly one that'll grow up on any broken ground in some areas, and as you'll be digging it in it's effectively a green manure anyway. Can't do any harm to increase the amount of organic matter in the soil. It seems to rot down quite fast.
Behemoth

I over wintered field beans last year, planted in September. The cabbages that followed have done much better than the ones I grew last year.
dpack

corriander is also edible and weed suppressing and is not too fussy about soil and water .and best , seed is only about £2 per kilo in catering size bags from the local asian supermarket ,a kilo is lots and covers better than most . i did get fed up of eating it though and some folks just dont like the smell .i have used it as a weed suppressor after ist dig on my last plot and it does help
tawny owl

Judith wrote:
Perhaps go for field beans or some other legume. They are nitrogen fixers that should survive the winter, and won't be a menace next year.

Some crops don't like too much nitrogen, though, so if you're following with one of those, phacelia's probably a better bet. You could try limnanthes as well - that would attract pollinators too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home