Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Mutton

Can courgette and squash be made to grow up a bean pole?

Putting a couple each of courgette and squash plants into the shadier end of the greenhouse this year. (Because we are on windy moorland and I hope they will last into the Autumn.)

So ideally, with the space available, I would like them to grow up, rather than out. Will they thrive if I make them do that?
BadgerFace

I've grown gourds up a trellis, so can imagine squash would climb up sturdy pole. Not sure about courgette's - more bush than climber ?
Mary-Jane

You can train/tie them to get them to grow upwards - but I'd use summat more sturdy than bean poles.
wellington womble

I have grown uchi kuri up an arch very successfully - other varieties may need tying in. Not sure about courgettes
marigold

I grow courgette Black Forest which is sold as climber and will grow several yards long if it's happy, producing upwards of 30 fruit per plant from June to October. Any variety that tends to trail rather than bush should go up a support OK, but make it a sturdy support (e.g. tripod rather than a single cane). Use strips of old t-shirt or something similarly soft and stretchy to tie the stem in frequently. I cut off old lower leaves when they get tatty and in the way - it doesn't seem to inhibit cropping at all.

http://mellowfruitfulness.wordpress.com/2008/08/19/climbing-courgettes/
Nicky Colour it green

if they are climbing varieties.. yes.

have grown vegetable spaghetti vertically
ksia

Just to been to an eco-fair near here and they had 'normal' courgettes growing up a beech frame/arch. The frame was about 4 by 4 by 4 feet in a sort of tunnel form. No tying. Wished we'd had our camera - Sorry!
Mutton

Cool. Could perhaps replicate with bits of palettes. Very Happy

Don't know yet whether vine or bush - will write to seed suppliers as not specified either way. Didn't even know until today that you could get two sorts. (Thought they were just available in "sprawl" Very Happy )
zigs

I grew a pumpkin once that climbed the fence, grew up next doors fir tree & hung the whole thing with pumpkins, looked like a christmas tree.

I intend to grow the nutterbut squash upwards, on account of just planting stuff all around it & then seeing a picture of how much they spread on the other, other site.
zigs

Mutton wrote:
Cool. Could perhaps replicate with bits of palettes. Very Happy

Don't know yet whether vine or bush - will write to seed suppliers as not specified either way. Didn't even know until today that you could get two sorts. (Thought they were just available in "sprawl" Very Happy )

Do you know the name of the variety Mutton ?
toggle

i'm growing mine up a bush.
zigs

toggle wrote:
i'm growing mine up a bush.

What about your corgettes ? Surprised
Mutton

Courgette - verde d'italia, winter squash - boston. All from Real Seed company, who just wrote back (very quick reply) and say that they've tried to grow these up trellis themselves and failed as too heavy.

Bush - what size and variety of shrub is this? Just wondering what was tough enough to cope with being swamped by a courgette?
zigs

In victorian kitchen gardens they used to support melons with netting as they grew. If its a climbing variety, that might be an option. never seen a trailing corgette, only grown bush ones.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Home Home Home