Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
alison

can crushers

I am looking for a can crusher that does more than 1 at a time, just for aluminium cans.

Any ideas. Something even like an industrial crusher type thing, but on a small scale may be good.
dougal

Have you considered a domestic "trash compactor"?
In the US of A such things are pretty common and like $400 (=£200) - which gets you a 40 litre capacity unit.
http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?&id=15480
They are much rarer over here, and three times the price...

Wouldn't a few manual single can crushers, a bunch of kids and a prize be a better (and of course more educational) idea?
alison

Don't know Dougal, that is what I am trying to find out.

I haven't found a price for anything that looks remotely interesting.

I considered having some hand levered ones around, but they aren't the most robust bits of kit, and the general public aren't always careful with other peoples property.
dougal

alison wrote:
I considered having some hand levered ones around, but they aren't the most robust bits of kit, and the general public aren't always careful with other peoples property.

Or their own fingers...
Maybe it'd be worth keeping an eye open for a used trash compactor.

I think the lack of manual multi-can crushers might be explained by the force required being more than some folk could muster, and hydraulic (or pneumatic) power being a bit expensive, so no small powered ones... I suppose that if pubs/cafés used anything they'd probably use a trash compactor, wouldn't they?
Interesting that powered log splitters should be significantly cheaper...
Cardinal Fang

An acquaintance of mine had to buy a can crusher when our local authority started fortnightly roadside can collections.

She and her boyfriend were getting through so many cans of Strongbow that their box was full in just one week (what with them having 3 cats as well.....)
alison

We have found out what to do

We fill the dumpy bag about 1/3 full and close the sacking over, then drive over it with the tractor!
judith

A most excellent solution!
mochyn

Laughing Yet another use for a tractor!
Gervase

Cardinal Fang wrote:
She and her boyfriend were getting through so many cans of Strongbow that their box was full in just one week (what with them having 3 cats as well.....)

Oh dear, I now can't get the image of pissed cats out of my head Shocked
mochyn

One of my cats tried to eat a button from my nightdress this morning, but I don't think she was pissed...
wildgarlic

We've been told by our council that we shouldn't crush the cans as it interferes with the baling process.
alison

They aren't going to the council, Mine are being sold to a recycling company.
wellington womble

I like the tractor idea - use what you have and all that!

You sell your cans? I suppose you get a lot of them. I wonder if I can find ayone to sell wine bottles too........
alison

WW

Think boozy camping weekend!
wellington womble

Yeah - tend to end up wth bottles, though, and I wouldn't like to run over those with the tractor!

How much do you get for them?
alison

Not sure yet, but hopefully a couple of hundred (depends on market price, and how many they collect at a time) a tonne.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home