Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
JonO

Can-o-worms composter

Anyone ever tried or had any success with anything like these ?

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/foundoption.lasso?findit=Can-O-Worms&-session=shopper:DA4A634599362677EE2F8FD9E3A56C4F

They look good but expensive ? Searched the forums and couldn't come up withanybody reviewing them !

Question
Treacodactyl

Is this thread any use? I must get round to making my own if I can.

http://www.forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=2319
Blue Sky

Re: Can-o-worms composter

JonO wrote:
Anyone ever tried or had any success with anything like these ?

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/foundoption.lasso?findit=Can-O-Worms&-session=shopper:DA4A634599362677EE2F8FD9E3A56C4F

They look good but expensive ? Searched the forums and couldn't come up withanybody reviewing them !

Question

I looked at the wriggly-wrigglers site a while back but I found a very useful site on how to make your own wormery for about a tenner. (I'll try to drag out the link later)

With regards to the little blighters themselves I first tried with garden worms and failed. Then a very nice chap (on here) called Hedonists sent me the proper stock - yes all the way to France. Very kind indeed. They arrived last week and seem to be doing just fine in their new home. They are struggling a bit with the language tho' Very Happy Laughing Embarassed

Sorry Hedonists if this overwhelms you with worm requests
Blue Sky

Right, found it - here's the link:

http://www.troubleatmill.com/wormbin.htm

Well worth a visit! Wink
wellington womble

I've got one. They are essentially very simple bits of kit, and the link above will provide you with as good a bin, easliy (for a lot less than 80 quid too!) They are very slow during winter, so unless you really want worm casts, you may be better off with a compost heap. In the summer they work much faster, but still can't cope with anything like the amount of kithchen waste a family produces. If you can keep them somewhere warmer, they would work better, I think. I'm doing an article later in the summer (how not to do it!) I think we could easily keep 3 or 4 going.

But, they make great liquid fertiliser and pottin compost, and are very easy (once you have a few basic mistakes ironed out). They don't smell (although the fertiliser does) and would be fun for kids of all ages! I will biuld another, but even then I'll still need a compost bin for the rest of the kitchen and garden waste
JonO

Well I will look into making one of my own, Simon that linke was great (A bizzare tag on the rest of there site !).

I have 3 compost bins already ! Just wanted one that would produce stuff for seedling (Finer stuff) and also the fertiliser for my tomato's which I presume is its primary use (Other than another oddity for the neighbours to look at !)
Milo

I have one, a Wigglywigglers' version but I stopped using it a few years ago. I kept it in the cellar with limited success, (like close to failure), then moved it outside into a shaded location, but still ended up with something more like a foul-smelling mess than good compost. And I didn't find much use for the liquid run off.

I was probably doing something wrong, or not doing something right, but it seemed to me that the balance of contents was quite critical and I felt that I wanted something which I could just leave alone to do what it was meant to do. I made several starts and spent quite a lot of dosh on posted worms.

In the end I kept going with my free compost bin and a large handful of compost worms and got much better results.

After that very poor advert, my Wigglywormers' bin is for sale - say a ridiculously inexpensive £20 + P&P, or whatever swap you might like to offer.

But don't tell my wife because she bought it as a present for me!
wellington womble

Sounds like a worm bin's what you need then - I can't speak for the compost, cos I haven't got any yet, but the 'worm tea' seems to be good for my containers (beats buying stuff in unnatural red colours anyway!)

You do have to put dry material in them too. I use shredded
paper, used kitchen roll, and egg boxes and things, to stop it getting too wet. I put dryer kitchen waste in (like spud peelings not lettuce trimmings, for example) I've also found that the smaller the stuff you put in it, the better it works, so I normally stick to peelings in it, rather than broccoli stalks - they seem to rot rather get eaten, and the worms don't like it.

I'm going to get a paper shredder, so that I can compost and feed to the worms all our paper (we both work from home, and generate masses of the stuff!)

Mochyn's got one too - she might have something to add later.

Edit - they take a while to get going, by the way - you might som eliquid stuff this year, but proabably not compost - not sure if you would get it in time for spring, it depends how warm you can keep them over the winter!
Blue Sky

Good thread ... I'm learning more and more about worms every day.

Could someone in the know maybe do a topic just for us wormers?

I would be happy to join in with our progress on our new-found hobby. needless to say, I do not have enough experience with them yet to initiate the topic myself.

I nominate "Hedonists" Wink

Sorry mate, as if I havn't put you out of your way already with the worms requests.
mochyn

I do indeed have a wormery which was given to me some years ago by a client. It works really well, thrives on neglect, and produces a good quantity of fine-grade compost and 'liquor', both of which get used in the greenhouse. I don't do anything special, just bung in a bowl of veg. waste occasionally, rarely any paper or card, and, yes, mainly small stuff. I don't wrap it in the winter, but it's in a sheltered space on the yard by the shed and quite near the house so it doesn't usually get too cold, wet or hot! We don't bother with the 'worm treats' that came with it: I think the bags got lost in the move.

We even managed to move it from Shropshire 3 years ago with no loss of productivity!
JonO

Well Milo, I may be interested in your 2nd hand (or worm) can-o-worms as it will save me having to build one and allow me to spend my time sorting the ducks and chucks more ! If your interested in sneaking it out of the house ?

How far North do you live if you don't mind me asking ?
Milo

I'm at the centre of the universe, JonO, halfway between Lands End and John o'Groats. Contact details on my website.
Hedonists

simon wrote:
Good thread ... I'm learning more and more about worms every day.

Could someone in the know maybe do a topic just for us wormers?

I would be happy to join in with our progress on our new-found hobby. needless to say, I do not have enough experience with them yet to initiate the topic myself.

I nominate "Hedonists" Wink

Sorry mate, as if I havn't put you out of your way already with the worms requests.

Haha. Errm, not sure really.

I've learned a lot from reading one or two vermiculture forums.

I built my bin from a plastic dustbin, bought for about six quid. I drilled plenty of small holes in the bottom of the bin, so that excess moisture can escape. And used a drill attachment to make four 2" holes in the walls of the bin for airflow; two at the bottom on one side and two at the top on the other.

I bought a couple of tubs of brandlings (aka red wrigglers) from a local fishing tackle shop and added them to the bin along with some shredded paper. I probably started with no more than a hundred worms, and a year and a bit later there's hundreds and hundreds of the little blighters.

My bin has been going for nearly eighteen months now. For the first nine months I did everything 'by the book' and harvested half a bucket or so of nice dark worm castings. The second nine months I've done everything wrong and ended up with about ten buckets of really thick, heavy brown stuff.

Within the converted plastic dustbin I include a few inches of damp shredded paper at the bottom, for them to nest in (newspaper, used A4, etc but no glossy paper). Followed by household scraps, including tea bags, coffee grouts and all scrap veggies & rice/pasta, plus cardboard inners from toilet rolls etc (the worms seem to like nesting in these also) but no fat, no meat, no dairy. I add a 6" layer of dry shredded paper on top (moisture collects around the rim of the lid, and the worms LOVE to gather there - the dry shredded paper puts em off).

For the first nine months I stuck with this regime. There's only the Duchess and me, so the level of household waste is steady but minimal. The level of material between the bedding and the top layer of shredded paper varied between about six to twelve inches. As I've said, it resulted in about half a bucket of really nice dark brown castings. Not quite "Black gold", but well on the way. I'm confident that if I'd have left the worms in there longer, without feeding them more, the castings would have ended up darker. Worms will quite happily live in and continue to reconsume their own castings. As they do so the quantity of the castings reduces, but the quality improves.

The second nine months I practically filled the bin, with loads of garden waste (grass cuttings, gone-to-seed-lettuces, old pepper plants - they loved the pepper leaves!) layered with damp shredded paper. I now have over half a bin of heavy brown. It doesn't smell until it's given a good stir, and then it gives off a mighty pong! A really strong manure type smell.

From the smell and the look of this stuff, I reckon it'd make a wonderful fertiliser. Although as it looks so raw, perhaps to be dug-in in the autumn, for growing in the spring. However I'm more interested in a longer term experiment and so will probably leave them in this environment, without feeding them further, for the next nine to twelve months.

It's worth noting that I'm only using brandlings (aka red wrigglers) which are what I'd describe as "surface feeders". It may be that the full bin is too deep for them (in fact everyone says it is Crying or Very sad ). There are other worms that live much deeper in the mix and to combine them with the dragglers would be better suited to my environment. I intend to research this more fully.

At present I have one vermiculture bin, and one 'cold' compost bin. I'm thinking about buying a couple more, so that I can semi-compost material, before feeding it to the worms.
- apparently the worms eat the bacteria which break down the waste.

My bin is kept outside, where it becomes host to many other grubs and flies, plus the occasional slug or snail. Many of these, such as the soldier fly grubs, greatly aid the vermicomposting process. In fact soldier flys can be so veracious as to threaten the worms, but keeping a dry bin (set bin to level 'moist') helps to prevent too many of them.

Someone mentioned earlier that their worms couldn't keep up with the household waste... you don't have enough worms Smile I think this is also part of my problem at the moment. Even though most agree you should start with something like 1000 worms, I started with much, much less. It's only a year or so later that I have this kind of number. Next year I hope to have thousands & thousands of the little bleeders. I don't know how they do it, but worms will vary their popluation numbers according to how much food is available to them.

Bottom Line
---------------
You can get good castings from worms fed on nothing but damp, shredded/ripped newspaper. If you're using only dragglers (the most commonly reccomended worm for vermi-composting) a wider more shallow bin may give better results.

The little buggers adapt to pretty much any environment (which IMO is why they're so great). Search Google for how vermiculture is helping people in India to compost sewage.

Am afraid I can't give any advice on any of the commercially available bins, as I think 60+ quid for something to keep worms in, is a bit steep.

I've heard of people building wormeries underneath chicken coops or rabbit hutches. If anyone has any experience of this I'd love to hear it. I understand you shouldn't feed the chicken-pooh worms to the chickens, but it's ok to give them the rabbit-pooh ones. I'm very interested in breeding rabbits for my pot, and think this is garden-geek cool Wink

Apologies, if this all seems a bit rambling. Embarassed

You haven't lived until you've harvested worm eggs Razz
Blue Sky

Hedonists wrote:
Next year I hope to have thousands & thousands of the little bleeders.

You will have to stop giving them all away then Sad

But seriousely, thanks very much for that post. Very helpful to me and I am sure many others well find it useful also.

The home made bin gets my vote of approval. No sense wasting money eh?
wellington womble

Thanks Hedonist - I bet your fingers are aching now! Some of what you said is different to what I've got in my booklets, but if its working, then who cares? Laughing

I can add a few mistakes I've made along the way - perhaps it'll help others avoid them.

Don't stack the empty baskets under the one your using to keep them out of the way. The worms go down and can't get back up again!

Put the bin under cover, or find a lid for it (a dustbin lid is good, as the air still needs to circulate) Otherwise the worms all try to escape when it rains!

Put lots of dry material in - shredded paper is really good. If the bin gets too wet it gets a bit pongy and slimy, and you get extra wildlife with it (manure type flies, I think)

Keep the bin as warm as possible - if you can overwinter it in a greenhouse or keep it permanatly inside somewhere, they will work much faster. otherwise keep it sheltered and biuld in some insulation. I used bubble wrap and duck tape, but it would be much easier to incorportate as you build it if you build your own.

Lastly, remember to ask mochyn (or hedonist) why the worms appear to be drowning themselves in the sump again! Are they just stupid, is there possibly too much liquid in there, and does this explain why I maybe don't have enough worms?

I think they can't cope with our level of waste really - we generate about one bin bag a week, and I reckon that more than half of that is green waste. I suppose what I really need is a pig!
Hedonists

wellington womble wrote:
Lastly, remember to ask mochyn (or hedonist) why the worms appear to be drowning themselves in the sump again! Are they just stupid, is there possibly too much liquid in there, and does this explain why I maybe don't have enough worms?

Worms LOVE moisture, to the extent that they'll happily(?) drown themselves, even when there's a good supply of bedding and food nearby. I've often wondered about this in relation to bins that include a reservoir for the lecheate. The only way I can see of stopping the worms from diving to their doom, would be by using some kind of a screen. But as baby worms are quite tiny, I'm not sure even this would be succesful.

Quote:
I think they can't cope with our level of waste really - we generate about one bin bag a week, and I reckon that more than half of that is green waste. I suppose what I really need is a pig!

Ideally, for every pound of waste you feed them each day, you should have one to two pounds of worms. That's a lot of worms!
wellington womble

I started (I think) with 500g - and I know some escaped and got lost because of my many mistakes! but the pound for pound equation is for optimum conditions (mostly temperature, I guess) which is 20 - 30 degrees according to HDRA. sadly, we aren't getting those temps in my garden! I also think we probably generate more than that at home, over the course of week. I'll just have to get another one - what a shame!

I emptied out 5 pints of tea from the bottom today, which I reckon should see the tomatoes through a weekly feed over the summer. I've also added a whole newspaper, and gone up to the middel layer (very exciting!)
judith

One more don't from my very short-lived experiment with worm ranching - don't put a large pile of uneaten chips in at once! I did and they died. Don't know if the two events are linked!
wellington womble

I always said chips were bad for you! Laughing
wellington womble

Can anybody help with why my worms are drowning themselves in the sump again? I took off the fluid, thinking it might be too high a week or so ago, and there were a few dead worms, but there are more today (stinky - ugh!) and lots of small maggoty things (also dead and stinky) There were some flies around a few weeks ago, as I put too much in the bin in one go, but it recovered, so I put more stuff in, but although it isn't rotting, there seem to be less worms than usual.

What might I have done wrong this time - could they be too hot? The bin is on a north facing wall, and is insulated with bubble wrap. I'm happy to buy more worms, but not if they're going to be suicidal ones!
Hedonists

My bin has many small holes drilled through the bottom. When I kept a minimal amount of material in it, I found the worms would often dive through the holes and lay around in the moisture that collects under the bin. They love moisture/water and seem too stupid to acknowlege the dangers involved Very Happy

When I increased the amount of material in the bin, I found they stopped this. But as you acknowledge, this is likely to attract other beasties. However if you try and keep the bin fairly dry, this goes some way to preventing flys/maggots.

From your description of the bins location, I don't think it's getting too hot.

Whilst I doubt it's of much help to you, the only time I found they stopped diving out through the bottom, was when I put a sheet of perspex underneath (to stop the path from staining). A couple of weeks later I found I'd not had a single escapee. I removed the perspex, as I was worried the worms didn't like it Very Happy
wellington womble

Ah - now I wonder - When the bin comes, you put a sheet of cardboard in the bottom to stop everything (including the stupid worms) falling through the holes. I know that that cardboard has gone now, as I've been mixing in paper in case the bin was too wet. But I'm still on the bottom basket, you are only ever on the bottom basket when you first start, as with a 3 basket system, you take the bottom basket to harvest the worms only when you have started on the 3rd basket at the top (otherwise there might still be worms in it)

So the worms aren't really supposed to spend much time near the bottom. I think I've put too much material in the basket anyway, its above the line for the next basket to rest on - I had put the next basket in, but I think it compressed it too much. I'll take some material out, put it in the next basket and see how they get on. If they don't die, I'll buy some more!

Honestly, I've never had such difficult pets! Dogs are a lot easier!
Bugs

wellington womble wrote:
Honestly, I've never had such difficult pets!

Total nightmare keeping track of the names, too. And the vets bills must be sky high.
Hedonists

Bugs wrote:
Total nightmare keeping track of the names, too.

If you think that's bad, try coming up with several hundred Christmas pressies, each thoughfully purchased (or made) to reflect their individual personalities). Embarassed

wellington womble, ever since this thread started I've been wondering about just how viable vermicomposting is at home. (And this from someone who stands firmly in the pro-vermi camp Surprised )

I think a large part of the problem lies with comparisons to intensive systems and how much and how quickly the worms can compost. I don't think the comparisons are particularly obvious, partly coming from surreptitious advertising on behalf of worm bin manufacturers. Plus a few years ago there was a scam running in the US, with people investing in small(ish) scale vermicomposting equipment,. The conmen made great claims regarding the amount of compost they could produce and the returns available (sadly the only ones that made any money were those flogging the equipment).

The large scale systems are normally made up of stacks of trays, each of which is several feet wide but only a couple of inches deep. Though IIRC the worms don't wriggle from one tray to another. Each tray contains thousands and thousands of worms, amongst an absolute minimum of material. Their feed is ground up before they receive it, so has a much greater surface area and starts to rot down much more quickly.

Compare that to most of the bins people have at home (whether shop bought or home made). Most are either too deep and/or too narrow to successfully host anywhere near the amount of worms needed to keep up with the waste output of an average houshold. At best, their feed is chopped up, so it rots more slowly, and there are fewer bateria available for the worms to feed on.

The few home systems I've seen that claimed to really work well, were extremely simple. Made of long trenches or troughs, no more than 12 inches deep containing far more worms than I suspect you or I have. Although the feed in these systems isn't ground up, it is spread out over a greater distance and doesn't become compacted.

That said, vermicomposting at home is good fun, educational and far better than sending all that waste to landfill.

...and the look on people's faces when you tell them you have a worm bin, (only the bravest proclaim "I have worms!") is worth all the sleepless nights worrying whether they'll like their pressies. Laughing
HG

Anyone had any experience with small indoor wormeries? Haven't found anything suitable apart from this:

Bokashi

Our most wasteful area at the moment is getting rid of perfectly good compostable material, so if there's something we can keep in a corridor (or large cupboard??) that would be excellent... Very Happy
wellington womble

They'd definitely work faster! I don't know - my mum leaves hers indoors over the winter, but thats in an unheated house, which would probably be ideal. I'm not sure I'd fancy sharing my kitchen with them - they can attract flies and the like.

However, my wormery health update is positive - they are still going, and although I only feed them a pile of paper and a few peelingss about once a month this time of year, I'm sure they'll be back up to coping with a day's veg waste once a week or so, and all my paper shreddings in about april. I'm curretnly sorting out a compost heap for the rest, but its worth it for the potting compost and tomatoe feed, I reckon.
Bugs

HG wrote:
Anyone had any experience with small indoor wormeries?

No, nor even with a large outdoor wormery (yet!) but I think councils and composting "organisations" do recommend them (perhaps certain models) for flats. It might be worth phoning those Wiggly people, as I think they are about the main supplier, and asking what they'd recommend then having a check to see if you can find anyone's experiences indoors with a particular model.

Are you in the HDRA? If not I'll have a look on their website for you later in case they have anything, they sent a whole booklet on worm composting when I joined them so they might have stuff to encourage people with small spaces.
Blue Sky

wellington womble wrote:
However, my wormery health update is positive - they are still going, and although I only feed them a pile of paper and a few peelingss about once a month this time of year, I'm sure they'll be back up to coping with a day's veg waste once a week or so, and all my paper shreddings in about april. I'm curretnly sorting out a compost heap for the rest, but its worth it for the potting compost and tomatoe feed, I reckon.

Ours are still going strong also. As per WW I only put waste in there about once a month, usually fruit and veg peelings (not citrus). I have not put any shredded paper in there to date. Maybe I should, it is rather wet. On the positive side the worms seem to have multiplied at least ten-fold in the past 10 months of keeping them.

Not taken anything out yet and it doesn't look as if I will be doing so for quite some time. The worms are still residing in the lower box and not showing much sign of moving on up. It's cold here. I keep the wormery in the cellar which doesn't go below zero.

Further updates when the weather has warmed up. Wink

Hedonists wrote:
If you think that's bad, try coming up with several hundred Christmas pressies, each thoughfully purchased (or made) to reflect their individual personalities). Embarassed

Speaking of which, ours are still waiting for their christmas pressies from their "grandparents" in England Laughing Must have gotten delayed in the post.

Simon
HG

Bugs wrote:

Are you in the HDRA? If not I'll have a look on their website for you later in case they have anything, they sent a whole booklet on worm composting when I joined them so they might have stuff to encourage people with small spaces.

No, can't say I know what the HDRA is, but google shalt be my saviour!
Thanks for all of that - will speak to the wiggly mob and get some more info Very Happy
dpack

names is easy , they are all called .....worm .

2 cats called cat and that is my excuse ,maybe i should be more personal and call them hilary or lyndsey or even marylin but worm suits them and me .

mine are all free range ,,,,,,,,,ace workers , ace bait , quite edible if you know good recipies .

they choose where they get to in the soil /compost / farmyard for their own reasons , i am sure i dont want to try to intensively farm them .

create conditions where they thrive and any species will .

compost is good ,big heaps that then cool and are food for .....mixed bedding and dung added to the soil helps them live in what they like ....under a fly tipped paper item , under a large stone in a damp place ,in wet rotten logs , places that never dry out , not hot /not cold .

there are several species and varieties within those , all prefer there perfect environment .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home