Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Melli-Jane

can pigs eat pineapple and citrus?

sourced a friendly greengrocer and today amongst the veg there is a crate of pineapple and a crate of oranges....can the pigs have these? If so, still ok for a heavily pregnant sow?
Melli-Jane

well there you are...http://www.feedipedia.org/node/676 - but will pigs eat it?
Wentworth

Perhaps try chopping it into squares and putting it on a cocktail stick with a bit of cheese Wink
mochyn

Not the oranges. Mine always like a bit of pineapple, though.
Melli-Jane

cheers!

just imagining my boar and cocktail sticks - maybe something a little bigger and a whole pineapple! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Boarstall Girl

Mine wont eat citrus, and they would have to fight me for the pineapple, but yes, fine to give to the pregnant sow.
I am just imagining the size of the sticks - treetrunks?
Mardu

I thought citrus - oranges, grapefruit, lemons etc were not good for pigs but ours love pineapple. We do cut off the outer skin but don't know if this is necessary.
Green Rosie

My Kune kunes love all fruits except citrus - I will give them the skin from a pineapple we have eaten and they go bonkers for kiwis. I don't give them the tops of pineapples though, as I think they may be too spiky ... although that said they do love chomping through thistles!
Melli-Jane

thanks for all your replies - he is a big welsh lad so I will throw a whole pineapple in and see what happens! He loves watermelons - bites them in half and splats the contents everywhere!
oaklandspigs

we chuck whole pineapples in, only the stalks remain !
mochyn

My pigs loved mango. Watching a pig suck all the flesh off and spit the stone out is something else! Smile
Boarstall Girl

I chucked a large marrow (it hid, it was supposed to be a courgette, but lurked at the back and grew and grew!) into the field, where the small piglets ran up to it, then ran away, barking, as it was obviously a terrible monster about to attack them. The teenager pigs then came to have a look, surrounded it, nudged it a bit, and decided it was an unexploded bomb and ran away, shoving each other and giggling. One old sow wandered over, all the rest came to watch, just to see Mum explode, she nudged it, bit it, and ran off up the field with the marrow in her mouth, just to have it all to herself. She was chased by all of the piglets who realised it was FOOD and were missing out! Made me laugh! Smile
LoveRPlanet

Citrus fruit for pigs

It's good that you're feeding your pigs with waste food from a friendly grocer - good for you. Just be careful because some consider it to be a tiny bit illegal... Confused but i'm pretty sure produce from a grocer doesn't count as kitchen waste. You may want to check this out, just to be on the safe side Smile
Nell Merionwen

I chucked a large marrow (it hid, it was supposed to be a courgette, but lurked at the back and grew and grew!) into the field, where the small piglets ran up to it, then ran away, barking, as it was obviously a terrible monster about to attack them. The teenager pigs then came to have a look, surrounded it, nudged it a bit, and decided it was an unexploded bomb and ran away, shoving each other and giggling. One old sow wandered over, all the rest came to watch, just to see Mum explode, she nudged it, bit it, and ran off up the field with the marrow in her mouth, just to have it all to herself. She was chased by all of the piglets who realised it was FOOD and were missing out! Made me laugh! Smile
Laughing Laughing Laughing
mochyn

Re: Citrus fruit for pigs

It's good that you're feeding your pigs with waste food from a friendly grocer - good for you. Just be careful because some consider it to be a tiny bit illegal... Confused but i'm pretty sure produce from a grocer doesn't count as kitchen waste. You may want to check this out, just to be on the safe side Smile

As long as it comes straight form the grocer to the farm it's totally legal. It has to go through a kitchen to be considered kitchen waste.
mochyn

Along with citrus you shouldn't give your pigs parsnips. They can come out in nasty lesions if they eat them. Tavascarow

Our tamworth boys will eat oranges & the sweeter grapefruit but they skin them to get to the insides.
Haven't tried them with lemons.
Tavascarow

Along with citrus you shouldn't give your pigs parsnips. They can come out in nasty lesions if they eat them.
I must have a rare sub-species.
They have eaten a fair few without any complications.
mochyn

Along with citrus you shouldn't give your pigs parsnips. They can come out in nasty lesions if they eat them.
I must have a rare sub-species.
They have eaten a fair few without any complications.

I think it's mainly the green, leafy part but I always steered clear of the whole thing.
Melli-Jane

well the pineapples vanished rapidly and go down in one or two bites! I have avoided giving them any oranges. I do not feed parsnips to the pigs as understand as someone previously mentioned that the tops contain a chemical that causes blistering. I am not aware that the roots themselves are harmful and the British Pigs site lists them as a fodder but to be honest mine just don't like them much! Woo

Re: can pigs eat pineapple and citrus?

sourced a friendly greengrocer and today amongst the veg there is a crate of pineapple and a crate of oranges....can the pigs have these? If so, still ok for a heavily pregnant sow?

when i was a heavily pregnant sow i ate pineapple to try and help things along! i believe there is a chemical in them that helps strengthen contractions?
i'd like a couple of pigs but my OH said 'NO!' Sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home