Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
madcat

Can sheep safely eat cabbage and lettuce.

They're Hebridean, will raw cabbage and lettuce be bad for them . There's some in the store that we may not get round to eating ourselves.

If no go for sheep has anybody got a cabbage soup recipe ?
Human Boris likes soup.
dpack

i have no idea but hebrideans will eat seaweed by grazing the tideline so i guess they are quite robust
Cathryn

Ordinary sheep shouldn't eat too much of either and especially not cabbage as it can make therm infertile. Hebridean on the other hand can apparently eat anything. Smile That's a quote from my sheep farmer although I edited out a swear word. Smile
NorthernMonkeyGirl

My gut (haha) says occasional nibbling of cabbage shouldn't cause harm, but lettuce might give them the runs? Unless that's just rabbits... Rolling Eyes
I'm assuming it's small amounts compared to their normal forage?

They're not lambing are they? If so I think I'd err on the side of caution and go for soup and compost Laughing
pollyanna

Sheep are folded on other members of the cabbage family, so I doubt they will be harmed.
madcat

Lettuce I decided wasn't going to be a good idea , I don't want to risk giving them mucky bums.

They aren't due to lamb this year, I hope.

The cabbage likewise I think will become soup, if my husband gets a mucky bum he might get earache but he won't get fly strike.

I have proper food to give them a small daily amount to keep them in love with the white food bucket.

Thought it was worth an ask though.
Gervase

Sheep have been folded on brassicas for centuries, so unless yours are a new strain, I wouldn't worry. With the caveat that any abrupt change in diet can cause scouring and poor nutrient uptake (remember sheep are suicide pills covered with wool) so introduce slowly, and not immediately prior to lambing or in the first six weeks of lactation.
madcat

Thanks, I'm minding these beasties for a week and inclined to worry.
I'm sticking to their routine and feeding exactly as instructed.

Boris can consume a job lot of cabbage soup.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home