Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
nettie

Can someone alert me at the first sign of wood blewits?

Pleeeease?

I know it's a bit early yet...or maybe not. Everythings coming at the wrong time at the moment! No small parasols yet, but the chestnuts are dropping already!! My usual hunting ground was stacked with blewits last year but I can only get up there once a week at the mo, I can't bear the thought of missing any Shocked
hils

If I knew what a blewit was I'd let you know Nettie!

I'm guessing a mushroom! I treated myself to a guide to Uk mushrooms and toadstools book the other day. Only managed to find a fairy ring of something which looked like (from the book) like it was poisionous -clustered tough shank. And a solitary boletus reticulatus/cep I think.

This time on a saturday night 4 years ago I would be out doing a gig - not discussing mushrooms!
nettie

Oooo Hils - a fellow musician! I've got an audition Wednesday for a rock covers band, after having the best part of 4 years off -wish me luck!!!
hils

Break a leg girl! I can't wait till I'm on it again. What's your instrument? I always found having a distraction helps in auditions (my favourite is needing the loo!) always works! Takes your focus off people auditioning you so its less daunting. Where's the straight jacket.......
nettie

Singing......and my singing muscles have become victims of middle aged spread, just like the rest of me......I need to practise!!!!

What do you do?
hils

Practise while you're looking for your blewits!
cab

hils wrote:
If I knew what a blewit was I'd let you know Nettie!

I'm guessing a mushroom! I treated myself to a guide to Uk mushrooms and toadstools book the other day. Only managed to find a fairy ring of something which looked like (from the book) like it was poisionous -clustered tough shank. And a solitary boletus reticulatus/cep I think.

This time on a saturday night 4 years ago I would be out doing a gig - not discussing mushrooms!

Oh Hils! And you a lass up in Nottingham!

If there's one muushroom that defines Nottinhgham, it's the field blewit (or 'bluey', or 'bluebutton'). If there are two, the next one is the wood blweit.

Field blewits grow profusely around Nottingham in late autumn and through winter; I've had them from October through to February in the city. The wood blewit fruits sporadically in the same period, but it's less common.

Ask some of the old timers (if you've got any good old Nottinghamites down at your alltoment site) to tell you about blueys.
cab

Re: Can someone alert me at the first sign of wood blewits?

nettie wrote:
Pleeeease?

I'll let you know when I see any Lepista.
hils

I'll make it my mission tomorrow Cab!
cab

hils wrote:
I'll make it my mission tomorrow Cab!

Good luck Smile

I remember picking blewits in a field in the university one morning, I was down on my knees processing them (cutting the bases of the stems off with a small knife), when in the corner of my eye I could see movement... A copper had wandered over to see what I was doing. Bugger, I thought, here's me handling a knife, am I in for it? Turns out he wanted to tell me all about his grans recipe for blueys, which turned out to be the same recipe everyone elses gran used for blueys in Nottingham... This one:

http://cabd0.tripod.com/cabsmushroompage/id13.html
nettie

Oooo thanks Cab!!! Razz
cab

Found two wood blewits yesterday. Very early.
Bugs

There is a mushroom in our kitchen which I understand TD found at the end of the garden; I think these are blewits, we found them last year too, but I can't remember if they are wood or field?
cab

Bugs wrote:
There is a mushroom in our kitchen which I understand TD found at the end of the garden; I think these are blewits, we found them last year too, but I can't remember if they are wood or field?

Pictures of both on this page:

http://cabd0.tripod.com/cabsmushroompage/id20.html

The field blewit has a purple stem and a brown top, the wood blewit is more purple all over, going almost tan as it ages.

Both are very good to eat, the field blewit being meatier, the wood blewit being more aromatic.
Bugs

From memory it looks a lot more like the wood blewit; are the field blewit's gills a lot paler? This has beautiful dusty lilac gills and the shape is more like the wood one too, I think.
cab

Bugs wrote:
From memory it looks a lot more like the wood blewit; are the field blewit's gills a lot paler? This has beautiful dusty lilac gills and the shape is more like the wood one too, I think.

Yeah, somewhat more pale than the rest of the shroom. Beautiful things.

Do the spore print, it's really pretty.
nettie

Thanks Cab - found a few small ones on the organised forage I went to on the weekend Very Happy
mochyn

Found a bunch of wood blweits in our woodland at the weekend... just outside the fencing that wilol be keeping the pige in! Fluke, but a good one. Off to do a spore print...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home