Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sean

Can you freeze sardines?

The fishmonger gave me his remaining stock for three quid this morning and we're not going to eat more than half of them this evening.
Duckhead

I can't see a reason why not, as long as it is clean.

Haddock and Cod and suchlike freeze well. They just tend to fall to bits when defrosted and cooked.

As long as you aren't a slave to fancy presentation you should be okay. Smile
Chez

Sean is THE Mr Fancy Presentation of North Devon Wink
sean

Owning cutlery and plates is *not* fancy. Wink
Chez

Gosh. You can tell you're not born-and-bred Laughing
Bernie66

just bear in mind that if he gave you a bargain then it was probably to clear out old stock-nothing improves by being frozen so either use em fairly soon or cook them into something and then freeze em.
Chez

Doesn't the tomato sauce go funny when you freeze it, though?
Duckhead

Chez wrote:

That would worry me a bit. Wash em, dry em, freeze em.

You did tell me not to apologize Chez, should i go off course.

Raw fillet of haddock, or cod or similar.

Wash and dry it.
pile some cheese and raw onion on top. Freeze it in a microwavable thing of your choice.
When you come home starving and feeling lazy, nuke it for three minutes. Lazy fish on a plate Very Happy I like brown sauce with mine.
sean

Cooked 'em all in the end and Milo's had a treat.
Gervase

I've found out that oily fish, like mackerel and sardines, don't freeze half as well as white fish. They don't keep at all well.
Jamanda

sfolati wrote:
Chez wrote:

Wash and dry it.
pile some cheese and raw onion on top. Freeze it in a microwavable thing of your choice.
When you come home starving and feeling lazy, nuke it for three minutes. Lazy fish on a plate Very Happy I like brown sauce with mine.

That sounds handy. Do you mind if if I hoik it out into a separate post to put it in the data base please?
Chez

Jamanda wrote:

Quote:
Wash and dry it.

That sounds handy. Do you mind if if I hoik it out into a separate post to put it in the data base please?

Also, do you think you could do that with pre-frozen fillet (I know, probably sacrilege, but I am not A Fish Person), stick the cheese and raw onion on top before it defrosted and then freeze the lot?
Duckhead

Jamanda wrote:
sfolati wrote:
Chez wrote:

Wash and dry it.

Hoik it where you will Very Happy I tried to start a discussion on photography in recipes earlier Laughing I am happy to be hoiked. Laughing
sean

Chez wrote:

Also, do you think you could do that with pre-frozen fillet (I know, probably sacrilege, but I am not A Fish Person), stick the cheese and raw onion on top before it defrosted and then freeze the lot?

I'd have thought so. But could you not just chuck them on top of the fillet when you wanted to eat it?
Jamanda

Lazy fish on a plate

sfolati wrote:

Wash and dry it.
Chez

That would involve being bothered to chop an onion and a bit of cheese, though. Which some nights, to be frank, I am not.
sean

Chez wrote:
That would involve being bothered to chop an onion and a bit of cheese, though. Which some nights, to be frank, I am not.

Those are the nights on which you should serve "Poisson au fromage et oignon sans fromage et oignon.' That way it sounds deliberate rather than as though you can't be bothered. A bit of foreign always helps to make food sound more impressive.
Duckhead

sean wrote:
Chez wrote:

I'd have thought so. But could you not just chuck them on top of the fillet when you wanted to eat it?

i would nuke the frozen fish for a minute or so, then chuck on the onions for half a minute, then pile some cheese on. then when its all ready get the brown bread out and shake the brown sauce in readiness Laughing
Duckhead

Chez wrote:

that is why its freezer food, make it when you can be arsed, freeze it. nuke it when you can't be arsed.
Duckhead

Re: Lazy fish on a plate

Jamanda wrote:
sfolati wrote:

Wash and dry it.

Thats twice now, to my reckoning, you have quoted me without saying anything. Whats that all about? Confused
sean

sfolati wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
sfolati wrote:

Wash and dry it.

Thats twice now, to my reckoning, you have quoted me without saying anything. Whats that all about? Confused

It's 'cos of how putting things into the recipe database works. They need to be in a post of their own with a title and without any chat, otherwise the chat ends up as part of the recipe.
Duckhead

sean wrote:
sfolati wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
sfolati wrote:

Wash and dry it.

It's 'cos of how putting things into the recipe database works. They need to be in a post of their own with a title and without any chat, otherwise the chat ends up as part of the recipe.

I'm honoured Laughing
Jamanda

I asked you if I could hoik it out.

So I could put it in the data base without all the accompanying gumph.

See here.

T'is my job. (one of my jobs Rolling Eyes ) I sneak around the forum inventorying unsuspecting recipes.
frewen

I was fed sardines on toast once week (when the Dukes of Hazzard and Jim'll fix it was on) when I was a child - I am not quite sure what that says about my family...

It's struggle to choke the things down Embarassed
Jamanda

Frewen wrote:
I was fed sardines on toast once week (when the Dukes of Hazzard and Jim'll fix it was on) when I was a child - I am not quite sure what that says about my family...

It's struggle to choke the things down Embarassed

I don't remember the sardines on toast - but I have fond memories of the Dukes of Hazzard Laughing (I think I may even have had posters out of Jackie magazine)
frewen

We obviously don't share the same mother Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jamanda

Frewen wrote:
We obviously don't share the same mother Laughing Laughing Laughing

You should be eternally grateful for that!
frewen

That's a snap then Wink Laughing
gil

I had sardines on toast with vinegar once a week as a child. Usually for breakfast Shocked
Jamanda

Frewen wrote:
That's a snap then Wink Laughing

Laughing What will Twinkle, Treacle and BW be writing about us in the future?

- just had friends over for drinks - their 13 yo chose to stay at home. The phone went -

Young man (with deep, broken voice) "Hello, is that Mandy?"

Me - "Yes, who's that?"

YM "It's Jack"

After a minute Me - "Erm Jack?" (The only Jack I could think of was Cathryn's Jack, but no Welsh accent)

YM - "Yes - Can I talk to Dad? The curtain's fell down

Me - Oh God! That Jack - Yes! Here's your Dad

Teenage - so glad that's years behind

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
frewen

hee hee hee Laughing Cool
Jonnyboy

Tinned sardines are wonderous, over on the continent they even sell aged ones which are canned with high quality olive oil and should be turned every six months to coat the fish evenly. It's just we in the Uk have a long tradition of dumbing down our food rather than celebrating it.
Jamanda

I rather like tinned sardines too. Haven't had them for ages. Must rectify that.
Behemoth

The last couple of years we've been to france and I'v always come back with a dozen or so tines of 'intersting' sardines.
Bodrighy

Chez wrote:

Don't know about the sauce but the tins get damn cold and the key snaps easily

Pete
Duckhead

Jonnyboy wrote:
Tinned sardines are wonderous, over on the continent they even sell aged ones which are canned with high quality olive oil and should be turned every six months to coat the fish evenly. It's just we in the Uk have a long tradition of dumbing down our food rather than celebrating it.

Just re read this thread, we get marvelous tinned sardines here. We like them with pasta.
Soften some onions in olive oil,
open the tin, have a quick sniff and chuck them in,
pull the big bones out and mix it all about,
chop up some juicy tomatoes and throw them on top,
then pile the cooked pasta of your choice on top, i feel that anything tubelike works well with a fishy sauce,, penne is good.
Mix it all up and if it's a bit dry loosen it with some pasta water.
Nice.
as an aside a good quality tin of sardines costs less than a euro. spoilt we are Smile
ETA it goes without saying that you have to check your seasoning, if you feel its lacking in some way a little glug of balsamic will bring it back but that shouldn't be necessary
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home