Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Jamanda

candied oranges

So where would one get whole candied orange from? Or how would one go about creating one.
Andrea

Make slits in the skin to allow syrup to enter. Simmer in a very strong sugar solution. Take out of liquid and allow to dry (dehydrator very useful, low setting but very low open oven also works). Do it again. Do it again. Do it again etc

Why do you need it whole? It'll take forever (experience talking!). Could you slice it?
wellington womble

Would injections of sugar syrup help, do you think?
dpack

i was curious and the recipes online seem to range from a two stage do it in a few hours method to every day for a week or more .

i recon the more times they simmer/dry the better they will be
Nick

Andrea is correct. It'll take three times forever. Smile
Jamanda

I was idly wondering about recreating a Heston Blemental Christmas pud that had one in the middle. It might have been a tangerine or clemantine rather than a full sized orange.
mochyn

Next year go for a kumquat.
dpack

the slice that i saw as a "stand" type feature of sd's yule soap seemed quite robust if rather unappetizing Laughing
Nick

Probably dried, rather than candied.
dpack

probably, but it looked a bit damp when it surprised me while prepping fof the mutts bath

it did seem an odd use for a slice of fruit
wellington womble

Looks like we better start now...
Jamanda

Indeed.
Jamanda

Was that referring to Heston's pud or Dpack's soap?
Nick

Was that referring to Heston's pud or Dpack's soap?

Dpack's soap.
Jamanda

candied oranges

Easy method for candied whole oranges. Perfect to create your own Heston Blumenthal hidden orange pudding for Christmas.
Author: Sara McCleary
Ingredients

6 Ė 8 blood oranges (or substitute regular oranges)
7c sugar
12c water
6 Tbs light corn syrup

Instructions

With a fine needle pierce around your oranges several times. Making sure to insert the need right through the skin or the oranges. This allows the candying syrup to penetrate the oranges. Do not use a skewer!
Place oranges in a large pot (which has a lid) and cover with water. Bring water to a simmer and cook for an hour. This will remove some of the bitterness from the pith of the oranges.
Drain oranges in a colander and set aside.
In the same pot add your sugar, water and corn syrup. Heat until sugar has dissolved and then increase heat until the syrup boils. Reduce heat and place your oranges back in the pot. Place lid on your pot, but do not fit it tightly, leave it slightly off centre, as you want some of the steam to escape. Gently simmer for an hour, make sure it is a very gentle simmer.
Remove pot from the heat and place lid firmly on top of your pot.
The same time next day, place pot back on stove. Place lid slightly off centre again and bring oranges and syrup to a gentle simmer again. This time simmer for 30 minutes.
Once you have done this, remove pot from the heat again, replace lid and leave until the same time the next day.
You repeat this process for eight (8 ) days. You may need to add a little water if your syrup is reducing too much.
Once you have simmered for your final day. Cool oranges completely and store in a container in your fridge. They will keep for up to six (6) months.
Donít discard the syrup either as this takes on a deep orange flavour. This then can be used for cordial or many other purposes.
Jamanda

Indeed.

The recipe I just posted says they keep for up to 6 months. I bet they'd be all right for longer though.
wellington womble

Seems straightforward enough. I wonder what else you could use the for. A bit sticky for most decorative purposes. They'd be good in cake I imagine b Pilsbury

Glace cherries and candid peel I would of though could be done this way.
stone the cherries and simmer a shorter time I ould of though in a stronger syrup.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home