Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Bodger

Candles

We sell candles and would like to do a little consumer research.

Do you buy candles and if you do what sort of candles do you like ?

It as simple as that but a response could be very useful to us.

Thanks.
Blue Sky

Fork handles?
Bodger

Very Happy The old ones are the best. Very Happy
marigold

cheap ones from IKEA.

sorry bodger, that's probably not what you want to hear Very Happy
hedgewitch

You've made me realise that I stopped buying candles a while ago - I used to use quite a lot.

They got trendy, I think, and everywhere seemed to be selling fancy designs and scented candles.

I could be tempted by some plain beeswax candles maybe. Good quality and simple design.

Mind you, anything I like never seems to sell very well, so if I were you I'd probably go for fancy colours, sculpted wax and the more scent the better Rolling Eyes Laughing
hedgewitch

Oh - and can I have some "O"s? Laughing
Bodger

marigold wrote:
cheap ones from IKEA.

sorry bodger, that's probably not what you want to hear Very Happy

I have them here far cheaper than Ikea, so don't worry. Very Happy
Went

Don't know if it's a quality or wax thing but - ones that don't smoke too much when burning

Not bothered about fancy colours or smells - church style candles do the trick for me
Smile
Becki

I was given some party lite coloured ones a while ago and although very expensive they last for ages and are smokeless. They smell nice too. Won't be buying anymore of those ones though.
dpack

please be careful with candles

i use basic household parafin wax as a outdoor multipurpose thing

beeswax are best imho as indoor ones

scent can be ok if not too strong ,ie a hint of rather than eye watering

llang llang
frankincense
any citrus

what matters most is that the wick,wax and shape give a clean burning candle with no dripping ,drowning or slumping
dottyspots

I don't often buy candles - but when I do I buy *pretty* ones from http://brighterblessings.co.uk/ (to go on the altar and seasonal table).
bernie-woman

hedgewitch wrote:

I could be tempted by some plain beeswax candles maybe. Good quality and simple design.

I have a supplier of good beeswax candles Very Happy - I also buy a few from www.deelights.com
kaz

We started selling candles because I was buying so many elsewhere that bodger thought we might as well pay trade price for them Very Happy
I'm chief candle tester and we don't restock candles that haven't past the test of burning cleanly. Very Happy
Sarah D

I make my own beeswax candles, and make long candles with a home made mould, from bits and pieces of candles recycled from the tip, LETS, boot sales etc. Funny colours, but functional and satisfying to produce.
mosschops

I've treated myself to some vegetable/soy candles recently ( Embarassed that's about as specific as I get, i'm afraid - but they're def plant based, not pretroleum).

One is 'chardonay and rose' which doesn't smell anything like either but DOES smell absolutely lovely and the other is more earthy and is something like 'chocolate and sandlewood' (but again... yada yada).

I bought the first one to light after changing ds2's nappies - and loved it so much i bought another for the other room Wink

So i would say (to finally answer your question) 'not petroleum based'.

Very Happy
Jonnyboy

We have loads, we normally go for the votive kind and citrus smells are our favourite. Grapefruit and lime ones are burning at the moment.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home