Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
printerhp

car boot sales

can anyone help me please ?. i wish to sell at car boot sales in scotland . buying to sell.i know i need a licence but what type and where do i get it.?
Jb

Unless there's some oddity about scotland or about what you're selling I thought you needed no licence.
gil

What kind of goods are you wishing to sell ?
printerhp

re carboot sales

gil wrote:
What kind of goods are you wishing to sell ?

i want to sell a mixture of new and used goods.if i attend the boot sales every weekend i have been told by the police that i must have a licence,.does this sound correct to you?
gil

Sorry, but I don't know - wondered whether you were selling food.
Market trader's licence ? Hmmmm.
Do other boot sale regulars have them ? I've not come across it before, but never done a boot sale.
Tavascarow

I used to do a lot of car boots, about 4 a week years ago & never once got asked to produce a licence.
I know the police don't like car boots (or E-bay) because of the amount of stolen & counterfeit goods shifted but I've never heard of needing a licence.
printerhp

re carboot sales

i have been told that by doing sales regular i am looked upon as a trader.and can be prosecuted as such by the revenue and tax peopleif i dont have a licence.
Jb

Surely revenue and tax would only prosecute for not declaring income through trading not for non possession of some licence. Is this some Scotland only thing?
Jb

From Perth and kinross council

Quote:
A licence is needed by any person who carries on street trading whether as an employee or self-employed.

Street trading covers:

* hawking eg selling from door to door
* selling
* offering or exposing for sale any articles
* offering to carry out any service for money or monies worth in any public place (whether a thoroughfare or not), to which the public have unrestricted access. eg wheelie bin cleaners

People trading in or from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall need to be licensed, unless they are trading as part of and adjacent to their retail premises.

Still no indication of where one would obtain a licence or how you determine at what point you become regular enought to require a licence but based on where that web site was I'd guess local council would be the first port of call.
printerhp

re boot sale

JB wrote:
From Perth and kinross council

Quote:
A licence is needed by any person who carries on street trading whether as an employee or self-employed.

Street trading covers:

* hawking eg selling from door to door
* selling
* offering or exposing for sale any articles
* offering to carry out any service for money or monies worth in any public place (whether a thoroughfare or not), to which the public have unrestricted access. eg wheelie bin cleaners

People trading in or from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall need to be licensed, unless they are trading as part of and adjacent to their retail premises.

Still no indication of where one would obtain a licence or how you determine at what point you become regular enought to require a licence but based on where that web site was I'd guess local council would be the first port of call.

many thanks for the information, i will take your advice and speak to the council.
denis
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home