Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
kiwi

caramelised hazelnuts

Hi all

after spending Sunday afternoon at friends helping out with their hazelnut picking I thought I would attempt a few things with them (see my previous post re paraline!!! Embarassed )anyway thought I would have a go at caramalising some, so after picking, dehusking a big box (middle child did this for me!!) shelling a tray full (no nut cracker so used a garlic press) then roasting said tray full, removing the skins easily (HAH) Mad with a cloth I then proceeded to melt the sugar for the caramel this didn't seem to be going too bad until it started stting after about 2 seconds so I thought I would have a go at reheating it slowly with the nuts in the saucepan too instead of dipping them in individually - well the upshot is I ended up with about 8 decent ones!! think they must be worth about $50 each - they were tasty mind so will maybe have another go! I've still got plenty of nuts left Laughing
jsut out of ineterest what price are macadamia nuts in the UK they are $54 kilo loose in the supermarket here so think the macadamia crunch will have to wait Crying or Very sad
gil

Re: caramelised hazelnuts

kiwi wrote:
jsut out of ineterest what price are macadamia nuts in the UK they are $54 kilo loose in the supermarket here so think the macadamia crunch will have to wait Crying or Very sad

Think that here they are sold individually wrqpped in their own velvet-lined box. Loose in the supermarket ?! Shocked
sean

Ludicrously expensive is the answer to the question about Macadamias. Personally I've never seen what the fuss is about with them anyway, the cashew or pistachio are vastly superior IMHO.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home