Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Chez

Carrots

Right, Behemoth's article says I should be planting Early Nantes this month. What's a 'second early'? I've looked at the Simply Seeds website and I'm confused.
tahir

it's a fast variety, any 2nd early will be good to plant now.

Chantenay, Nantes or Norwich from there I reckon
Chez

Right-ho, thank you. I'll give a couple of different ones a go.
dpack

make sure the bed is free of stones ,deep and not compacted.

the only time i have had good carrots the soil was sandy loam, quite unfed and very fluffy,all my other attempts have been a zero or very funny veg.
Bebo

Can't grow them in the ground where I am, too clayey and dense. They grow very well in barrels filled with a loose compost (or spent growbags in my case).
sean

We grew brilliant carrots one year in tubs filled with a compost & sand mixture. I reckon growing them in the ground is a hiding to nothing in most gardens.
It's possible that Chez has all her garden soil worked to a fine tilth with the stones removed though.
Behemoth

But the results can be quite funny in a smutty way.
Chez

Nothing like genital-shaped carrots to brighten up a family meal.

The soil is quite light and sandy. And I have worked it quite finely. I'm not *bad* at this, I've just never put much thought in to it before, just stolen stuff from Ma Smile
dpack

Laughing a fine tactic with carrots Embarassed
gardening-girl

We grow ours in barrels/tubs up high.Trying to avoid carrot root fly.
wellington womble

I have grown really good carrots in the ground by digging out a shallow trench and filling it with last years tomato compost/growbags. Then you have to water them EVERY day until the are strong-ish seedlings and cover then with fleece over a support (I use underfloor heating pipe) to keep the carrot fly out. I've never managed any winter carrots, but had loads of lovely baby ones. A but of a faff, but worth it. One of my top vegetables - right up there with asparagus, peas and new potatoes for growing yourself to have fresh.

I've also got some in one of those self watering windowbox things in the greenhouse this year. Not many in the beds, because of an increased cat population in the current garden.
Mistress Rose

Mine have failed completely this year. I might have another go perhaps.
gregotyn

I always grow a few carrots in a box, which is placed about 3ft up on an old tank this keeps the carrot fly at bay as they are only said to fly below 18ins, I have never had fly with this method so it is probably true! 'They what knows' also advocate planting carrots in rows but between onions which puts the carrot fly off, I have never tried this but have had carrot fly in a carrot bed years ago -about 40- and have grown my carrots 'up in the air' ever since.
Chez

I've sown mine between the onions. I was going to stick some fleece over the next lot to keep them out.
Mistress Rose

Would it be an advantage to sow them between the rows of leeks?
wellington womble

All my books say that you don't need to fleece after the beginning of June, as carrot flu isn't active then. I've never tried it, as I grow in have same patch each year harvesting in strips and resowing as I go. The real key for me is watering every day until they look like sturdy little seedlings.
gregotyn

Not a bad thing to try MR., but leeks are not as smelly as onions, though more protective, and that protective cover available for a longer period.
Mistress Rose

Thanks for that Gregotyn. Not sure whether to try in the same bed as I have been unsuccessfully trying for root vegetables, or to try in the leek bed. I will decide, but need to get some sown now.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home