Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
lorrayne

Carving on a slate

Hi, would a downsizer know of any one that engraves slate please?
TIA
L
dpack

it might be worth asking the local monumental mason firms. tis their sort of skill set

some have CAM facilities and can pop in the artwork/copy and the machine does the cutting much like printing a photo but a bit noisier.
Hairyloon

Re: Carving on a slate

Hi, would a downsizer know of any one that engraves slate please?
TIA
L

Is on my list of things to have a try at. Haven't managed to get a suitable slate in the same place as the engraving tool yet though.
dpack

doing it has serious dust issues that need to be managed.
gz

generally done with running water to wash away dust
wellington womble

Could one etch, with some sort of acid? Might be a simpler solution, more suited to DIY. I know you can get stuff for glass.
Hairyloon

Could one etch, with some sort of acid? Might be a simpler solution, more suited to DIY. I know you can get stuff for glass.

There is a kind of acid you can get that might make you see engravings that aren't there... Wink
dpack

Laughing

afaik etching slate is not a thing, carved, abraded, machined are more plausible.

even if you find a (probably rather nasty ) etching agent slate is laminar so might be rather prone to sideways drift and popping.

iirc a cam diamond router with water cooling to cut the dust and prevent heat stress is the best way

dremel with a flexi drive and a cat litter tray of water is a diy option
wellington womble

There is a kind of acid you can get that might make you see engravings that aren't there... Wink

True, although I don’t recommend it. I knew someone with slate worktops, which I really liked, but they had to be really careful with red wine and lemon juice, because they indelibly marked the slate. So I imagined it wouldn’t be that difficult to do on purpose! Just a thought. I’d be in interested to see, because I’ve got some slate plant markers which would benefit from permanently marking with my favourite varieties.
Hairyloon

I knew someone with slate worktops, which I really liked, but they had to be really careful with red wine and lemon juice, because they indelibly marked the slate.
Are you sure that wasn't marble?
Quote:
So I imagined it wouldn’t be that difficult to do on purpose! Just a thought.

I'm thinking they'd leave stains or discolouration rather than etching, but is not my field.
Quote:
I’ve got some slate plant markers which would benefit from permanently marking with my favourite varieties.

Something that small should be quite easy I think.
buzzy

True, although I don’t recommend it. I knew someone with slate worktops, which I really liked, but they had to be really careful with red wine and lemon juice, because they indelibly marked the slate. So I imagined it wouldn’t be that difficult to do on purpose! Just a thought. I’d be in interested to see, because I’ve got some slate plant markers which would benefit from permanently marking with my favourite varieties.

Well, I know about varieties of red wine, but how many types of lemon juice are available?

Henry
dpack

a hard point and a good hand and patience should suffice

i was thinking grave markers or relief artwork.

write on it , follow the lines with a pointy thing for a while ?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home