Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Nick

Cassoulet

Four Toulouse sausages. Just the meatiest ones you can get. Pork, red wine and herbs are a bonus.
Four bits of confit duck*
Four rashers streaky bacon, chopped
An onion
A carrot
Four garlic cloves
Tin of haricot beans
Glug of white white
Tomato paste
Some bread

Fry the sausages in a bit of olive oil and butter, to brown them. Toss in the bacon. When brown, pop in a casserole. Add the duck. Chop and fry the onion and carrot for five minutes in the same pan, til brown. Add the garlic for a moment then put these in the casserole too. Throw in a squirt of tomato purée, a glass of white wine and the beans.

Top up with chicken stock til it just comes to the top of the beans. Probably throw in a bay leaf and some thyme. Or parsley. Mix and season.

Whack in a medium oven for an hour or so, with a lid, or foil. Then put chunks of bread or baguette on the top. These will soak up the fat, and provide a crispy crust in places. Back in the oven for half an hour without a lid. The secret is to get the fat and wet liquid to blend into a delicious emulsion.

Serves four, or two teenagers.

*No confit duck? Seriously, get a better store cupboard. Or, use a chicken thigh, with the skin on. Brown it with the sausages.
earthyvirgo

I do enjoy reading your recipes Nick.
Throw this in, a slosh of that - my type of cooking.

EV
Woo

yum!
i saw the two spicy indian chaps do some confit chicken a bit ago.
it didnt look tooooo difficult. Confused
gardening-girl

Yum!
We love Cassoulet,but not the after effects the next day! Embarassed Embarassed
Nick

I do enjoy reading your recipes Nick.
Throw this in, a slosh of that - my type of cooking.

EV

Thanks. You need scales and thermometers to bake reliably. Anything else is a mere balancing act.

As for confit, it's easy. Season and add herbs, then cook slow under oil til tender. It's one of those 'posh' things which is actually really simple. It has to be, it was invented for anyone to save meat when there were no fridges. A few hours spent one weekend will give you a massive supply and you'll love it. Duck, pork and lamb all work wonderfully. Cheaper cuts the better.
jamanda

You've just reminded me of the tin of goose confit sitting at the back of the cupboard. Very Happy
Nicky cigreen

as it goes, I have made confit of muscovy duck today. We sometimes have it on cassoulet, and we also like confit duck pie!

I've not made confit of pork belly though... must try that
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home