Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Treacodactyl

Cast iron bath

I've just removed an old (1938) cast iron bath. It isn't a roll top one, just a plain bath where the enamel is wearing out.

Is there anywhere that would want this bath to renovate and reuse? It's very, very heavy and can just about be lifted by two people so I suspect it's not worth renovating and should be broken up and recycled, but thought I'd ask first.
Northern_Lad

Make it into a pond. Or a watercress bed.
pricey

MadMonk unless Penny has sorted him out.
Treacodactyl

Anyone's welcome to it but it's only a plain cast iron bath, not a roll-top or anything posh. It will also need to be re-enamelled and collected in something suitable - it'll need two strong people to lift it in and out of something that can carry a full sized bath.
Home on the Hill

I've long had am ambition to make one of these:

http://ilovecob.com/archive/cob-hot-tub/

so if you're anywhere near me or where my OH works, then I'll take it off your hands. Mind you, it will be years before I get round to it - current projects already exceed life expectancy by several decades! So if you fancy having a go, or know of a better recipient then that's cool.

I live in the Midlands, but he works on the south coast (eek!)

Where are you?

Beth Very Happy
Nick

My car will take a full size bath. You know how to pm me.
gingerwelly

my brother spay-painted his bath, with car spay ...very nice its lasted for 4yrs + and its in a very nice dark purple
Treacodactyl

Home on the Hill wrote:
Where are you?

North Surrey. I like the idea but not something we could do here. You're more than welcome to the bath if you can transport it. It might be easier for you to pop an add in Freecycle first to see if you have any more local as I expect they're quite common. Just a reminder that it's very heavy, I can lift quite a bit and I can barely lift one end of the bath...
Treacodactyl

Bath has now been taken by a scrap metal bloke, at least he should be able to see if there's any use for it or if it's only best for scrap.
Bernie66

I weighed in an old bath once, it took two of us ages to get the thing down the stairs and into a car. £2.67 Crying or Very sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home