Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
RichardW

Castle building

This sounds like a good idea.

Building a castle from scratch the old fashioned way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10440300.stm
Rob R

25 years? That's about the pace of building here at Rosewood...
Gervase

Tsk! Bloody cowboys, rushing the job like that.
Barefoot Andrew

Rob R wrote:

Got a roof yet? Wink
A.
sean

I'm not completely convinced that installing a mobile home counts as building.
12Bore

Beats James May and his Lego Laughing
Rob R

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Rob R wrote:

Got a roof yet? Wink
A.

Yep, just waiting on the services being completed. Very Happy
Barefoot Andrew

wav
A.
Bulgarianlily

I am proud to say that we have the world's most beautiful chicken house.
I mention this, as the young French traveller that built it for me, previously was a volunteer carpenter on this castle. He took from working there an idea for a timber pegged traditional roof structure that he eventually wants to build on a house in France, and made it in minature as the roof of our much needed chicken accommodation. It was all made with hand tools, has five sides, a grass roof, and a hand carved rooster on the top! Really pleased to see all these articles about the castle.
ksia

Bulgarianlily wrote:
I am proud to say that we have the world's most beautiful chicken house.
I mention this, as the young French traveller that built it for me, previously was a volunteer carpenter on this castle. He took from working there an idea for a timber pegged traditional roof structure that he eventually wants to build on a house in France, and made it in minature as the roof of our much needed chicken accommodation. It was all made with hand tools, has five sides, a grass roof, and a hand carved rooster on the top! Really pleased to see all these articles about the castle.

Any chance of a picture? It sounds lovely .... and I need ideas for a duck house.
zigs

Very interesting.

I've rebuilt parts of the black castle in bristol & taken the roof off of dunster castle in somerset but i've never built one from scratch.

nearly finished this project, who knows ?
zigs

Dunster roof

The view from the top

Mutton

Great thread, gorgeous pictures.
Wish I had a job like yours Ziggy I love old buildings. (Only problem being no head for heights at all - 6 feet up and I'm wobbling. Laughing )
zigs

Mutton wrote:
Great thread, gorgeous pictures.
Wish I had a job like yours Ziggy I love old buildings. (Only problem being no head for heights at all - 6 feet up and I'm wobbling. Laughing )

Can take some getting used to, first time up the Dunster castle scaffold was a bit dodgy. There was an open stair case on the side of the hill, not that high really but being on the side of a hill already & looking down on the top of mature trees Surprised

When i got to the top, i had to step onto the parapet of the castle, just needed something solid to stand on Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home