Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
sally_in_wales

Cat first aid?

Got home from, ironically enough, a day trading at a cat show to find Hagl, our vaguely elderly neurotic cat, with a badly bloodshot and swollen eye. He's partly blind these days anyway and I have no idea if he's had a run in with another cat or just walked headfirst into a cupboard or something.

Anyway, he's not leaking any fluids, is allowing me to handle him though not get too close to the eye, and was well enough to eat half my takeaway dinner, so I'm not expecting him to keel over imminently. He's also got his ears pricked up properly (he squishes them down when he's really miserable)

This is also a cat that is so tramatised by boxes that a trip to the vets is only to be resorted to in Very Serious cases and I need to bear that in mind as the mutual stress of a vet trip takes at least a week for us both to recover from.

So. I'm currently thinking that I monitor him tomorrow, keeping him in and as calm as possible in the meantime, and if he's no better by monday, find some way to get him into a box and to the vet. For the moment though, as he's eating happily enough and not refusing to be handled, should I be doing anything else practical for him?
chez

Can you put a cold cloth on it for a bit, if he'll sit on your lap? Or would that be A Step Too Far? I agree with your plan, otherwise; sounds reasonable.
sally_in_wales

I can try, if that doesnt work I'll take him up to bed with me in half an hour so he has to spend the evening in the dark rather than in front of a computer game with Gareth (he usually sits and watches the starships explode from a safe distance, the flashing lights can't help though Rolling Eyes )
chez

Bless him. He sounds like Leo - yet another brick in my 'cats and small children are very similar' wall Smile

I vaguely recollect Simpkin having something similar after a fight, now I think back. It looked quite alarming, but he got over it in a few days. You just need to keep an eye out for abscesses.
sally_in_wales

I think I remember a cat we fostered for a while doing something similar, and she was fine a day or two later with no lasting harm. It does look quite alarming at the moment though, so if he has to suffer the box of utter terror, we'll manage that in due course.
Poor old fleabag
sally_in_wales

He spent the entire night welded to my pillow (good thing I generally curl up and fall off the pillow anyway, he wasn't letting go for anything Rolling Eyes ) and is looking a lot better this morning. Still a bit bloodshot, but mostly normal. So, with luck, he'll be back to his normal cantankerous self by the end of the day.
Midland Spinner

Sending respectful hugs to Hagl (having first let him sniff my hand & look disdainfully at me)
gil

Aw, poor Hagl. Glad he's looking better today.
12Bore

Good news! Very Happy
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I'd do/would have done the same thing, glad he seems to be perking up Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home