Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
sean

Cauliflower fungus question...

We got some yesterday. Quite a bit of it actually. What's the best thing to do with it? And should I dry/freeze/do something else with any excess?
Treacodactyl

We've dried it before, cut up into strips. Not sure if it is the best way but it's what was suggested. Cutting it up also allows all the various creepy-crawlies to escape before you eat it.
yummersetter

um, this may be heretical, but caulis seem to be grown so perfectly and cheaply commercially and are such a pain to grow yourself - and don't have to be stored either. So I give diy cauliflower growing a miss.

I hated watching stiffening green caterpillars floating to the top of the saucepan - and the ones that got jammed in the cooked cauliflower were even worse puke_r
Treacodactyl

One small flaw in your argument is that Sean is talking about a fungus, Sparassis crispa Wink
yummersetter

oh lawdy Embarassed Embarassed

sorry all, esp Sean & TD, a vague moment.
sean

I did spend a few seconds wondering where all these fungi were grown and why I hadn't seen them in the shops. Smile
Minamoo

sean wrote:
I did spend a few seconds wondering where all these fungi were grown and why I hadn't seen them in the shops. Smile

Lol! Me too!
mochyn

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sort of off topic while remaining strangely on!
jp

Te he - one of the fummiest posts I've seen in a while. Thank you to all concerned for brightening up my day (I know, I know - what a sad life he must be leading you must all be thinking). Laughing
PeteS

Been away from computers for a while so may be a bit late for this post. In my view Cauliflower fungus is one of the best to dry. When dry it makes an excellent addition to soups and stews. For example, if clean all you have to do is chuck it into a soup for a unique sort of 'pasta/mushroom' texture. No need to soak it in hot water first unless it's got grit on it.
sean

Well, I did dry it, so it's good that you didn't say "Don't dry it it's disgusting like that."
The parasols seem to be coming up here now, which is nice.
PeteS

Great, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

We had Parasols (Macrolepiota procera) in the beginning of August. Nothing since. However, Ceps are coming up here again. I got a good haul last Monday Smile
sean

We got some chanterelles at the same time as the cauliflower fungus.
jamanda

They were scrummy - I saw a horse mushroom from the car last night too - and Sean went off and retrieved it later. No sign of the violet deceivers we usually get yet though.
jamanda

amethyst, not violet.
hedgehogpie

I found some a few weeks ago and they were over the hill then, but haven't seen hide nor hair of any since. Shame, because I love the look of them when they're fresh - they're just like coloured jelly sweets.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home