Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Celandines

Just picked my first celandine flowers and leaves of the year for salad yesterday. Had a pleasant little feast of ground elder, celandine, chickweed and dandelion, a beautiful little green and yellow leafy salad.

If you're familiar with celandines but haven't eaten them, try scattering the flowers all over a salad, they look fab. Makes the whole thing seem a bit more springtime-ish.
ken69

spring salad

Will have a go, Cab, just the flowers ?? .
Am also looking forward to japanese knotweed asparagus.
As with all you mention, revenge is sweet.
cab

I should of course add that its the lesser celandine I'm talking about; you can eat the leaves and the flowers. They're not desperately tasty, but the flowers look great and have a pleasant, sweet flavour.
judith

I had no idea they were edible either. I shall keep a lookout for them now.
wildfoodie

have you tried the lesser celandine root nodules? dry roasted in a pan they're not bad at all. you harvest themn after the plant has flowered. Quite small so not much worth other than for interest. BTW they do need to be cooked - poisonous otherwise. Oh and remember to ask permission before digging up!
cab

wildfood junkie wrote:
have you tried the lesser celandine root nodules? dry roasted in a pan they're not bad at all. you harvest themn after the plant has flowered. Quite small so not much worth other than for interest. BTW they do need to be cooked - poisonous otherwise. Oh and remember to ask permission before digging up!

I had no idea they were so tasty... I shall dry roast some after flowering this year, thank you. Bagpuss's garden is absoluterly crawling with them.
Res

cab wrote:
lesser celandine I'm talking about; you can eat the leaves and the flowers. They're not desperately tasty

OIH! I found them to be quite to MY taste last year, but you like the stronger tastes. Definitely a good "beginners" forage food for anyone thats a bit dubious about eating wild food Very Happy
bernie-woman

The only celandines I have seen around here have been on the edge of the graveyard - couldn't bring myself to pick them and eat them Embarassed
Res

They do seem to do better where the grass is kept down.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home