Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Mutton

Cement mixer recommendations sought

We've got quite a few jobs coming up needing cement or concrete. (Best way to do them, tried laying rocks not worked.)

Thinking about buying a mixer. Some of the jobs are not accessible by a concrete delivery lorry. (Might then sell the mixer on when we've done the jobs.)

So any recommendations on make? On electric or petrol motor? Second hand? Best places to buy?
cassy

I'm very interested to see what replies and advice you get as we're in a similar position. Unfortunately I've not started researching yet (little matter of building regs first) so have no info to add, sorry.
Toffer

What sort of jobs do you have to do? World of difference between the sort of mixer for doing bricklaying and post concrete and one that will handle laying foundations or floating hardstanding
Treacodactyl

Mutton, some weird member asked a few years ago. Wink http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=43325

I'd still recommend the Belle, since that post I've helped out a builder with two mixers, one a Belle and one not and he much preferred the Belle. Both were electric and ran happily on a generator so unless you really need a petrol one I'd get an electric.

If you're not in a rush I waited to buy mine when the shop had a VAT free sale on, saved a fair bit.
sean

Laughing Good that you're not rushing in to anything though.
12Bore

Hmmm, maybe another dose of looking at may be called for? Laughing
Gervase

Go for the Belle. Honda engine petrol is good, but costs significantly more than electric. The electic will run fine from a 2Kw generator. If you go for second-hand, remember that a new drum can be had for about £70, so if someone is letting go a used machine at a silly price because of a set mix in the drum or a drum that's bashed out of shape, that's easily sorted.
Where are you? I have a 110v immaculate Belle in West Wales if you're interested...
vegplot

I had a Belle once. It was stolen and therefore must be good to have.
dpack

im with them

a good second hand will keep value (and do the job )

tis the stand's stability and lever action that sorts the carp from the best

ive mixed lots ,best advice is set up to load from above and discharge below , tis fairly easy to arrange if there is a lot of mixing to do even if you build your own 3 step drop
dpack

the 3 step drop can be done with a mixer on the floor and a front loader bucket on a tractor or digger if available
onemanband

Re: Cement mixer recommendations sought

We've got quite a few jobs coming up needing cement or concrete. (Best way to do them, tried laying rocks not worked.)

Thinking about buying a mixer. Some of the jobs are not accessible by a concrete delivery lorry. (Might then sell the mixer on when we've done the jobs.)

So any recommendations on make? On electric or petrol motor? Second hand? Best places to buy?

How inaccessible ? Are you aware of 'Mixamate' or 'Easymix' (that's the companies round this way) ? They only mix what you need and charge for what you use. Unlike a traditional concrete lorry they will discharge into wheelbarrows and their waiting time allowance/charges are sensible. For quantities over 1 or 2 cubic meters I only save £20(materials) a cubic meter with hand-mix - it's a no-brainer - pay extra £20 and save time, effort and no mess.
You can also get concrete trucks with conveyors that can discharge something like 6m away.

As for mixers the Belle 150 ( the orange one) is the one to get. Nothing wrong with electric so only get petrol if you really need it.
The 130 is also a good mixer. I use my 130 more than my 150 as I can lift it on and off my truck on my own.
All Belle parts are readily available.
I've used non-Belle mixers a couple of times and they are crap in comparison.
Mutton

Oops on not remembering I'd already asked this. Yup, the projects have been subject to a few delays....... Smile

Its a mix of block laying, rendering and hardstanding. One hardstanding is next to the road (no problems with lorry delivery there). The other is across a field with a very rough stone track that is grassed over.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.
Mutton

Thanks everyone. We decided on the Belle 130 and its been very good. The being small enough to lift up we decided was also an important factor. Now used it to mix a run of loads of mortar and a small load of concrete - did a nice job.
Mutton

And one year on we are still pleased with it. Just thought I'd let folks know. Not used it massively, probably less than 100 loads over the last year, but it has worked reliably and made life easier.
onemanband

Not used it massively, probably less than 100 loads over the last year, but it has worked reliably and made life easier.

That's barely run in Laughing
I'd guesstimate an average of a ton a week for mine - that's say 20 loads a week for 7 years - that's IRO 7000 loads / 350 ton.
It ain't pretty now - it's always lived outside, is often cleaned with a hammer and has needed some welding.

When new they look a bit cheaply made in places, but to be fair all the repairs on mine are a result of abuse or falling from heights Very Happy
Nick

It's your own fault for choosing the size of that wall... dpack

and with a plastic barrel,a couple of planks and a few bolts it can retire as a butter churn Laughing onemanband

and with a plastic barrel,a couple of planks and a few bolts it can retire as a butter churn Laughing

I almost retired it is a soil screener. There's a few on you-tube. You can also buy a decent looking soil screening modification to fit the 150's.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home