Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
AdventureGirl

Cereals made with British wheat? Dolphin friendly tuna?

The only boxed cereals we usually have in our house are weetabix and shreddies (or supermarket equivalents).

I have started looking on the boxes to see which ones use wheat from the UK, but haven't found any that claim to do so.

Can anyone direct me to a suitable brand? I suspect that the Doves Farm wheat biscuits are probably alright but we tried those once and the kids hated them.

In a similar vein I picked up some John West tuna but had to put it back down again because it didn't claim to be dolphin friendly. Does anyone know what their policy is? I know that Princes and Waitrose own are alright.

Thanks for any info
countryman

I cant find a tin of Tuna freindly dolphin anywhere,double standards. Surprised
alisjs

I think Jordans cereals are from UK
Penny Outskirts

countryman wrote:
I cant find a tin of Tuna freindly dolphin anywhere,double standards. Surprised

It does seem a little unfair doesn't it - the Tuna are such friendly chaps Very Happy
wellington womble

This is old info, but dolphin friendly tuna is bad news. I can probably dig out the info when we move (in storage at the mo) but this is from memory:

regular tuna kills a few dolphins - 10 or 15 per ton, the odd sea turtle and 0.3 sharks

Dolphin friendly tuna kills one dolphin, 20 turtles, and 3000 sharks - and a lot of other stuff which i can't remember of the top of my head.

This was part of my conservation and biodiversity lectures at uni in 2000, so I'm conifdent of the source, although clearly it may be out of date by now.
sneeuwklokje

Dove's Farm gluten/wheat cornflakes do not come from the UK, but from Italy. Surprised
Jonnyboy

Have toast for breakfast! Wink
sean

Or, better still: Porridge, bacon and eggs, kippers, sausages, mushrooms, devilled kidneys and bubble-and squeak. All of which can be UK produced.
Sarah D

Pertwood organics are produced in the UK.
gingerwelly

on the nfu page .. it states "The UK is the third largest cereal producer in the EU after France and Germany"
lots of the cereal produced goes towards animal feeds, i cant find a cereal company that uses 100% british crops ......even the flour used for bread is about 70% import.
most of the cereal used for malting is british though !
Sarah D

Here's the link to Pertwood:

http://www.pertwood.co.uk/index.php

Their products are good.
bagpuss

As far as cereal goes I am not sure, could you source oats and dried fruit which are made in this country then you only need to add imported nuts and you have museli

but as an interesting aside coca cola are now marking there cans if its make in the UK
Northern_Lad

You're probably going to be limited to porridge for a cereal from the UK unless you're prepared to pay a lot more.

That stuff in cans is not tuna - I'm not sure exactly what it is, but is sure as heck isn't anything that tastes like tuna.
bagpuss

Northern_Lad wrote:

That stuff in cans is not tuna - I'm not sure exactly what it is, but is sure as heck isn't anything that tastes like tuna.

It doesn't taste like fresh tuna but it does taste good!
Northern_Lad

bagpuss wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

What!? Have you had a tastebud bypass? It's vile; people even resort to mushing it with mayonaise to disguise the flavour.
bagpuss

Northern_Lad wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

What!? Have you had a tastebud bypass? It's vile; people even resort to mushing it with mayonaise to disguise the flavour.

no, its lovely, with pasta and pesto, great stuff no mayonaise needed, you know there are some people round here (not me I might add) so open a tin add pepper and eat it like that!
judith

Tuna is one of the few things that I prefer canned to fresh.
AdventureGirl

Why on earth do we produce so much cereal but use imported stuff to make our breakfast cereals?

The kids have just started eating porridge, but don't want it every day, hence the need for some simple cereals. We've always gone for the simplest ones with little or no added sugar, salt etc. I do make an toasted oaty cereal for myself but they aren't interested in trying that.

The Pertwood cereals look nice, but don't really match what I am looking for.

Oh well, persevere with the porridge and try to get them interested in other traditional breakfasts like boiled eggs and toast.

Didn't realise there was a big issue with dolphin friendly tuna. The Waitrose variety claims to take the marine environment into account rather than just dolphins so maybe that is my best bet.

I reckon tuna sarnies need to be made with tinned tuna, just as bacon butties need nasty white sliced shop bread to taste right! Shocked

Thanks for all the advice as usual
RichardW

AdventureGirl wrote:
Why on earth do we produce so much cereal but use imported stuff to make our breakfast cereals?

Same reason most flour is made from imported grains. Ours is low grade. We just dont have the right weather to grow good stuff. Compared to USA & Canada (& otherplaces) we dont grow squat.

Justme
Northern_Lad

Justme wrote:
Same reason most flour is made from imported grains. Ours is low grade. We just dont have the right weather to grow good stuff. Compared to USA & Canada (& otherplaces) we dont grow squat.

I'd take issue with calling it 'low grade' - everything's got it's own use - ours is good for biscuits due to the low glutin content, theirs for breads as it's got high levels.
AdventureGirl

But surely we can grow good wheat for bread ... what about Wessex Mill or Doves Farm varieties? They don't claim to add any gluten to make it strong.
Milo

AdventureGirl wrote:
Because collectively we are stoopid / misguided / deluded.

Some people, and all of the tuna, would strongly recommend tuna-friendly tuna.
countryman

Doves farm Bio Biz- a weetabix alternative is(it claims 100%) made from UKwheat. Much nicer than Weetabix too Very Happy
Jamanda

countryman wrote:
Doves farm Bio Biz- a weetabix alternative is(it claims 100%) made from UKwheat. Much nicer than Weetabix too Very Happy

It could hardly be worse! puke_r
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home