Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Landscaper

Chance to buy land.

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please go easy with me, if i have posted in the wrong section please accept my apologies, i have trawled various sites looking for info but my head is spinning so i need a couple of answers in "Laymans" terms if you dont mind.
I have the chance to buy 6 acres of agricultural land from a friend of mine, he currently has a mobile home on the land with electricity and water connected as he has lived there the past 3 years but has just moved off after having various planning applications turned down.
What could i reasonably do to the land without getting hassle from the local planners? i would love to grow vegetables and possibly do some horticulture, do i need planning permission for a small barn or storage shed?
Thanks.
(sorry for a long first post)
Duckhead

not a clue.
welcome though Very Happy
mochyn

Hello landscaper

Don't apologise! That's not long by our standards.

I don't know the answers to your questions but there will be someone along soon who does I'm sure.

Where are you? which county; in/near avillage, that sort of thing...
T.G

Hiya Smile

Most new building of any kind requires some form of PP or building regs at the very least, have you contacted the local PA and asked what problems they had with the refused planning applications, or ask what they would look favourably on having put on the land.

Has the land got any agricultural restrictions? If not then you can put on the land pretty much what you like as far as I’m aware.
katie

You can find details of the planning applications online.

For a barn you would need planning. You could probably get away with a shed. It's a good idea to talk to the planning department. They usually have a list of Frequently Asked Questions on their website.
Landscaper

Thanks for the replys everyone, im up in the North Essex area and i didnt really want to get involved with the planning office to start off with, they dont always tend to be very helpfull if you know what i mean but i guess a "carefull" approach wouldnt go amiss, i just wondered if there was easy way to get going without any hassle but i guess thats just the way it is.
mochyn

My husband's parents live in N Essex: not too far from Harwich.
dpack

several ifs from one who has looked at such

if you can work it without the need to live on it
if the price reflects the earning potential
if you want hard work

probably more ,number 2 has spat me out twice Wink
Landscaper

Sunny Essex or Wet Wales - let me have a think................! Laughing
Landscaper

dpack wrote:
several ifs from one who has looked at such

if you can work it without the need to live on it
if the price reflects the earning potential
if you want hard work

probably more ,number 2 has spat me out twice Wink

The first and the third shouldnt be a problem BUT that No2...!
How many bags of potatoes is that going to take..!
mmmm.
Barefoot Andrew

Welcome Landscaper Very Happy
A.
chez

Welcome! wave
Rob R

For a small barn or agricultural general purpose shed (not for housing livestock!) you won't need PP but you will need to apply for 'prior approval' to ensure that you don't need to complete a full planning application. This should cost about £50 or possibly a little more.

Get advice from the planners- they can seem like complete idiots who couldn't find their posterior with both hands but you might get lucky and find a sensible one. In either case it is better to have them on your side.
Penny Outskirts

Hello and welcome

You might like to have a little look at this too

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/restoring-civil-liberties/living-in-a-temporary-dwelling-on-your-own-land
Rob R

Penny wrote:
Hello and welcome

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/restoring-civil-liberties/living-in-a-temporary-dwelling-on-your-own-land

That's been your answer to every query on DS for a month now Wink
Landscaper

The Land has a bit of history with it going back a number of years, as soon as the name comes up in planning meetings its a case of Rolling Eyes
Im thinking it might be more trouble than its worth but i might just go along and see what they would accept "off the record" so to speak.
It makes you mad when you cant build a barn in 6 acres but you can build a house in a back garden.!
Rob R

Landscaper wrote:
It makes you mad when you cant build a barn in 6 acres but you can build a house in a back garden.!

Tell me about it! Rolling Eyes Over the years the neighbours have gradually extended what was a small cottage into a massive house, and the same with the small bungalow beyond that. Now, should they be huge families I would feel less bothered about it but what the planners think a childless couple needs with a massive house is beyond me... Rolling Eyes

ETA- if the land has a history definitely consult the planners first- they'll be watching and onto you if you put up so much as a garden shed.
Landscaper

I think i might apply to planning for Caravan Storage and see what happens.....! Very Happy
Penny Outskirts

Rob R wrote:
Penny wrote:
Hello and welcome

I know Smile such a pimp!

Three more comments and we've beaten the human rights act ... hint hint!!
T.G

Landscaper wrote:
I think i might apply to planning for Caravan Storage and see what happens.....! Very Happy

ask to build a barn undgerground, or a house or even the caravan storage see what they say to that - if you go with a wild idea maybe they'll be happy to give in to a relatively sane one - well in their eyes Very Happy
T.G

Penny wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Penny wrote:
Hello and welcome

haven't been keeping up with this.. whats the HRA - cancelling it ?
Rob R

Penny wrote:

Laughing Bring back sylvia!
Penny Outskirts

Rob R wrote:
Penny wrote:

Laughing Bring back sylvia!

Bless her Smile
Penny Outskirts

The.Grange wrote:
Penny wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Penny wrote:
Hello and welcome

haven't been keeping up with this.. whats the HRA - cancelling it ?

Yep - someone wants to repeal it Rolling Eyes They only have a score of 2.9 out of 5, whereas ours has 4.7 out of 5. But with three more comments, we go above them, as ranking is based on comments.
Rob R

Don't worry Landscaper, blatantly wandering off topic is almost part of the rules here...
Penny Outskirts

Embarassed Embarassed Sorry Landcaper
Rob R

Laughing
RichardW

Rob R wrote:
For a small barn or agricultural general purpose shed (not for housing livestock!) you won't need PP but you will need to apply for 'prior approval' to ensure that you don't need to complete a full planning application. This should cost about £50 or possibly a little more.

Not sure thats quite right.

You can give Prior Notification (free) telling them what you are going to do & if they have not replied within 28 days saying you cant then you can.

Or

You could ask for a determination (for a fee) which is what most councils try to tell you PN is.

Or apply for full planning (bigger fee).

Smaller agricultural units have a less Permitted Development rights than a big unit but they still do have them.
Rob R

RichardW wrote:

Or

You could ask for a determination (for a fee) which is what most councils try to tell you PN is.

Yes, they did Twisted Evil
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home