Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
James

Changing from halogen to fluorescent spotlights -help please

In our bathroom we have 3 x 12 volt 40 watt halogen spotlights recessed into the ceiling. I’d like to replace the existing GU10 halogen spots with GU10 fluorescent spots.

Given that the fluorescent lights work on 240v, will I need to buy new light sockets, or can I re-wire the existing light sockets with 240v 5 amp lighting flex? If I do need to purchase GU10 spot light fittings suitable for running at 240v, any idea where I can get them?

Any other ideas about how I should do this?

I’ve also noticed a few people selling LED GU10’s- last time I heard about these the light rendering was not good, and the intensity of light was low. Is this still the case?
tahir

GU10s incorporate the tranny in the unit don't they?

I've used LED GU10s they were very blue and crap light intensity
tahir

This looks a better option:

http://www.lycodirect.co.uk/products/10000-Hour-7W-GU10-Cool-White-Low-Energy-GU10-Bulb.htm?prodID=5247
James

ahhh... the penny's dropping...

I thought that all halogen spotlights worked on 12v, and assumed ours to be GU10’s, based on the size and shape of the pins.
It looks like GU10’s have an input of 240v, with (as you say) the bits and bobs in bulb. I guess this is why you can use GU10 fluorescent spots directly in these fittings.

So, what I need is GU10 fittings.
tahir

James wrote:
So, what I need is GU10 fittings.

Exactamundo
dougal

Ummm... you might be happier with the *warm* (rather than the 'cool') "white" version... Cool
http://www.lycodirect.co.uk/products/10000-Hour-7W-GU10-Warm-White-Low-Energy-GU10-Bulb.htm?prodID=5246
Brandon

Gu10 bulbs are 240v, and 12v are 12v, be carefull with putting 240v downlighter in the bathroom There are areas in which they are not allowed.
James

yes, I whent & checked some GU10's out, and couldnt find any that were zone 1 (close to the bath/shower)- they were all zone 3 (away from bath/shower in large bathroom). Our bathroom becomes very steamy, so I've held off until I can figure this one out.
I think I've seen some GU10's which are zone 1 safe on the internet.
James

What I’ve found out:

GU10 fittings suitable for bathrooms have a glass frontage- this restricts the length of the bulb

Most GU10 energy saving bulbs will not fit- they’re too long. Even if they do fit (I found one which did), the energy saving GU10 has a glass front piece, which would touch, or sit close to, the glass frontage of the light fitting. This would cause them to overheat (according to the manufacturers), and would greatly reduce their life.

My conclusion: GU10 energy saving spotlights can’t be used in bathroom lighting.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home