Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
VSS

Cheap Borrowing

Can any one advise on the cheapest way to borrow a small sum, say 2.5K over two years?
Cathryn

Farm mortgage? Depending what rate you are on.

Vague possiblity of 0% credit card and transferring at the end of the 0% period? I don't know if that's possible any longer.

Parents?
Pilsbury

Barclaycard are offering 0% for 20 months on balance transfers on a new type of card and if you can get one then transfer the whole credit limit into your current account.
Cathryn

If it's not needed instantly, join a Credit Union. (Join anyway. I haven't got around to taking my own advice yet though. Rolling Eyes )
Nick

I'd be very wary of getting a 0% credit card for a CASH advance. Usually that's excluded, and you're back up to the larger rates. I could be wrong, but check. Carefully. Twice.

Would the bank offer an overdraft for that kind of sum? No idea how the figures stack up, tho.
Rob R

We've been doing a similar amount of short term borrowing recently - was going to go to the bank but, when hearing how much (or little) some rich pensioners were getting for their savings I've done a deal with mum - she gets more interest and I pay less thank the bank would take. Also works out well as we can pay back in variable chunks, as and when the money comes in.
chicken feed

Laughing bank of mum and dad thats always our offsprings port of call too Wink

must have a word with them about the interest Rolling Eyes
Hairyloon

Mine charges 5.5%... on a secured loan. But on paper, I look like a bad risk. Sad
Rob R

Yes, it always pays to hunt around for a better deal - but it's daft not to keep the interest in the family - don't think the banks need any more of our help...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home