Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
boisdevie1

cheap laptop wanted

Any old crap will do provided it gets me on the internet.
iaf

try ebuyer.com
oldish chris

why laptop? The ease with which tower systems can be added to, swapped around, etc. When I had no income and no computer, I put together such a system with left-over bits. In most English towns, there will be a little computer repair business that will have second-hand systems for sale at a very low price. Guessing, most French towns will be the same. I only started to use a lappy when the lump-sum that comes with a pension scheme finally arrived (about 7 years later).
boisdevie1

why laptop? .

So I can use it in different places. For example, I often use the Listen Again part of bbc radio 4 extra to listen to stuff when Im soaking in the tub after a long hard day of insulting people on various internet forums.
oldish chris

why laptop? .

So I can use it in different places. For example, I often use the Listen Again part of bbc radio 4 extra to listen to stuff when Im soaking in the tub after a long hard day of insulting people on various internet forums. glad to be of service Wink

Two sources I have come across of cheaper laptops are the back street computer shops and the cash for your stuff shops. I've also put "second hand laptop computers" into a search engine.
Nick

Our business, like every business I've worked for for the last 20 years updates it's laptops quickly, because it's cheaper than running them efficiently. So, we have a stack of them, which are old and useless.*

I'll ask if any are for sale, but I suspect other SMEs have a similar stack.

*unless you just want to do normal stuff on them, like browsing, or music, or storage, or running a word document, or whatever.
oldish chris

Nick's offer sounds pretty good, if he can pull it off. There is some up-to-date French software that you can put on it: http://www.mageia.org (for free of course!) boisdevie1

Nick's offer sounds pretty good, if he can pull it off. There is some up-to-date French software that you can put on it: http://www.mageia.org (for free of course!)
Nicks offer sounds lovely if he can pull it off. French software? - you mean like Word but with a hint of garlic?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home