Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
cab

Cheaty cider

Not strictly speaking cider, but an easy way to make somethign similar without needing a press.

Take your apples, and slice them; don't peel or core. Pack them tightly into a sterilised bucket, and pour on enough boiling hot water cover. Keep it covered, let it cool, and add a teaspoon full or even two of pectic enzyme.

Within a couple of days it'll be going kind of mushy; help it on its way by mixing it with a sterilised wooden spoon.

Now this mush is really handy stuff; probably, it will already be fermenting all on its own. You can let it ferment out with wild yeast for a random effect, but if you want to keep in control of the process, add in your own beer, cider or wine yeast.

If you've got soft-ish apples, this will become a bucket of fermenting mush, and you can strain it through a seive and then let it settle (help it through the sieve if you need to, or failing that dilute it with some boiled water if you really have to; if you're really patient filter it through some muslin after seiving it). Ferment it out without added sugar for a dry-ish cider, or add suger for a strong-dry cider (or a sweet one if you drink it young!). Add sugar and wine yeast for a rich apple wine; you may even find that it's advantageous to dilute the must with some boiled water for wine.

You're better with dessert apples than with cider or cooking apples; you're adding water, remember, so apples with a lower water content will be better here. But truth be told, I've made this with all manner of wildling apples, I've got no idea what most of them were, and it's normally worked. If you use crab apples or other really sour apples, add plenty of sugar.

This also works for pears, which go soft MUCH faster than apples.
Treacodactyl

Adding boiling water to apples and fermenting for a bit before straining is basically how I made my apple wine last year. Even straining through muslin though I had a large amount of pulpy sediment in the wine.

I'm now mulling over options for a press, probably home made.

What exactly does the pectic enzyme do? Does it just prevent the wine from going cloudy or does it improve the flavour in any way?
cab

Treacodactyl wrote:
Adding boiling water to apples and fermenting for a bit before straining is basically how I made my apple wine last year. Even straining through muslin though I had a large amount of pulpy sediment in the wine.

I'm now mulling over options for a press, probably home made.

What exactly does the pectic enzyme do? Does it just prevent the wine from going cloudy or does it improve the flavour in any way?

Apples are a great source of pectin. They're full of it, that's why they're firm, and that's why they're added to other jellies and jams to make them set.

Pectin is basically a polysaccharide; a long chain of sugar molecules. You've got (mostly) glactose, galacturonic acid, arabinose and methanol. Pectinase is the enzyme that breaks it down to those constituent components; do that and you turn the apple into a pulp. Pectin is mainly part of the cell wall, you break it down you lose structure and the fruit comes apart. Now there are lots of different sub-enzymes in pectinase. For the life of me I don't know which ones are in the 'pectinol' and 'pectozyme' you can buy, and I should imagine that there are a couple of such enzymes in the mix.

The down side of this in the fermentation of any pectin rich fruit is the liberation of methanol; that happens in all fermentations of all pectin rich fruit, and is the main reason why you shouldn't, under any circumstances, make apple jack! To hell with the legal reasons, think of your own safety; you're likely to blind yourself, if you're lucky enough not to kill yourself!

As an aside, most well characterised yeasts don't break down pectin, you don't get much degradation of the pectin at all. But you can't make the assumption that home brew will be clean enough to kill off everything that can break down pectin; no one produces perfectly clean homebrew. Ever. But at the concentration you produce methanol in ordinary undistilled fermentation, don't worry about it.

In a wine, rather than a cider, the pectinase added to the apple must gets more flavour out; you get a more richly flavoured wine from less fruit (in my opinion), and it also makes the wine clear more rapidly.
judith

What is apple jack?
cab

Judith wrote:
What is apple jack?

Apple jack is an illeegal brew Smile

Ask an old timer for details, but it basically relies on the fact that alcohol freezes less readily than water; they used to put a cask of cider on a hilltop (or somewhere else cold), come back later, chip through the ice and pour out the freeze-distilled brew. Traditionally this was done not just to make a brew more potent for drinking (a foolish thing to do with apples, it'll make you blind!), but to make something with a higher alcohol content for better storing; you would dilute it down before drinking.

But as that's illegal, and dangerous, and basically un-necessary, don't do it Smile
judith

Much too scary for me to even consider.

Mind you, I do like a drop of calvados now and again!
cab

Judith wrote:
Much too scary for me to even consider.

Mind you, I do like a drop of calvados now and again!

Ahh, calvados... Great stuff.

The process of making that is far more tightly controlled; because it's classical distillation, they can heat the cider to one temperature to drive off the methanol, and once that's gone (or nearly gone, truth be told) they heat it up again to a higher temperature for the methanol. Basically the same as any distillation process, although I don't know how many times they distill the calvados (cognac is, I believe, twice distilled, as is Scottish whisky, whereas Armegnac (sp?) and Irish are distilled three times, if memory serves; that explains why the latter are generally 'smoother', it's a cleaner process with less side products and exotic alcohols left in).

Don't try this at home. It's highly illegal.
Treacodactyl

[quote="cab"]The down side of this in the fermentation of any pectin rich fruit is the liberation of methanol; that happens in all fermentations of all pectin rich fruit, and is the main reason why you shouldn't, under any circumstances, make apple jack! To hell with the legal reasons, think of your own safety; you're likely to blind yourself, if you're lucky enough not to kill yourself! [quote]

So, if I've made a strongish apple wine that's taking a while to clear and I've not used any pectic enzyme is there any chance of a dangerous methanol level forming? Is there any way to easily test for it?
cab

Treacodactyl wrote:

So, if I've made a strongish apple wine that's taking a while to clear and I've not used any pectic enzyme is there any chance of a dangerous methanol level forming? Is there any way to easily test for it?

Yeah, there will be a trace of methanol there. Don't worry about it though, it will be at a sub-dangerous concentration. Just don't distil it.

Are you stuck with a pectin haze?
mark

you don't really need to worry too much about this in wine making!The main problem with pectin is that it wil stop your wine from clearing!!

Last year I made about 15 gallons of gorgeous apple wine. I don't have a press so I used the cheaty method.

Filled a plastic fermantation bin with grated apple poured over hot water and suger - when i cooled I added pectic enzyme - then the yeast and fermented on the pulp for about 4 days then strained it off

At this stage i boiled some bananas chopped up with their peel in the water (about 3lb to a 5 gal bin of apples) - and strained the juice into the fermenting apple juice

I added a little bit of Chardonay grape concentrate to each batch (about 3/4 pint per five gals -
I buy a gallon or so of concentrate and it does my apple and my rhubarb and my peach and plum and ginger wines - and anything else i chose - any left overs get used full strength to make a chardonnay!

The end result has been beautiful - the slight banana aftertaste i kept a gallon back and made a very nice sparking wine too using an adaptation of the traditional champagne method!

I might try to get it down to a recipe but have been doing this for around 35 years now so I tend to work intuitively rather than from recipe.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home