Cheese & Potato Pie
- Approx. 750g shortcrust pastry (see the pastry article)
- 1.8kg potatoes
- 2 large onions, chopped roughly
- 3 fresh baby garlic bulbs, crushed/chopped finely or 4 - 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 500g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 beaten egg
- Make your pastry and pop it in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Pierce a hole in the middle.
- Preheat the oven to about 180℃ (that's a fan oven).
- Peel and cube the potatoes into bite size pieces. Cook in a pan of water until nice and soft (but before getting waterlogged), then drain.
- Fry the onions and garlic together with a little oil, until soft. Letting some onions turn darker adds a bit of colour to the pie.
- Add the soy sauce and pepper to the onions and garlic, mix through.
- Add the onion mixture, the grated cheese and the parsley to the potatoes and mix well, but try to keep some of the potatoes as whole chunks, rather than mash.
- Roll your pastry out and line your pie dish/dishes, saving enough for the pie top.
- Fill the lined pie dishes with the filling.
- Put the pie top on, seal the edges by pinching the pie base and pie top together.
- Trim the edges off with a knife, then make some shapes to decorate, with the off cuts (good job for children).
- Brush the pie with the beaten egg, then bake for about 40 minutes, until browned nicely.
I might add more cheese next time, perhaps a sprinkling over the top of the filling once it's in the pie. You can never have enough cheese.