Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Jam Lady

Chicken and Sausage Cacciatore

Chicken and sausage quantities depend on how many people you will be bringing to the table and if you want leftovers.

Rinse and dry chicken thighs, bone in and skin on. Dust with flour. Add some olive oil, and saute in heavy skillet until well browned. Set aside.

Prick sausages (I use a mix of sweet and hot) with a fork and brown. Set aside.

Add more oil, if needed, and saute some coarsely diced onion, carrots, celery over moderate heat until lightly browned. Place vegetables in heavy enameled Dutch over.

Add a generous splash of wine (I use white vermouth but use what you prefer) then coarsely cut or crushed tomatoes to cover vegetables. Add bay leaf, fresh thyme, salt and black pepper to taste. Next add sausages, then chicken. Chicken should not be completely submerged.

Bring to a slow simmer and cover. Check to make sure it is cooking rather slowly, and give it about 90 minutes. Serve over noodles or some shaped pasta or over rice.

My theory is that variations are absolutely allowable because the cooks who originally made all sorts of recipes were not reading Marcella Hazan or Julia Child, and would cook as their mothers / grandmothers (sexist? but usually women in the village kitchens) cooked using what was available.
sean

I've added this to the database. Thank you.
Lidl used to do an own label vermouth which was dead handy for cooking. It seems to have been discontinued though. Sad
Nick

Sounds great. And I love your attention to quantity specifics. The best food, baking aside, is very flexible.
Slim

Sounds great. And I love your attention to quantity specifics. The best food, baking aside, is very flexible.

My grandmother's recipes are infamous for directions such as:

"add enough butter"
Nick

Like too much cheese, no such thing.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home