Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Treacodactyl

Chicken-of-the-woods

Just seen my first CotW of the season this morning, growing on what I think is an ornamental cherry tree a few houses away. I'm not sure if that's earlier than usual but worth keeping an eye out.
hedgehogpie

Oooh. It's been so dry here that we were lucky to get the few St. Georges & morels we've had so far. Any chance of some pictures?
Treacodactyl

I might try but it's in the front garden of an old lady's house so I don't want to disturb her. It is a very young CotW so pics would be useful. It's very dry here but the tree is still full of life so I expect the fungi has plenty of water on this tree.
hedgehogpie

Good grief yes you're right, creeping about her front garden with a camera will probably result in you getting your collar felt. I'll settle for a detailed description and spare you a possible night in the cells: shape, colour.....?
dpack

Laughing

have a chat and share ?
Treacodactyl

It's still very small, about the size of a grapefruit, and at the sort of firm jelly stage - too young for eating IMHO. It's a lovely pale sulphur yellow and looks like a velvety pincushion at the moment and surprisingly didn't seem to change much overnight.

Still, I'll be harvesting morels from my front garden for lunch today so all's not lost. Cool Laughing
hedgehogpie

Still, I'll be harvesting morels from my front garden for lunch today so all's not lost. Cool Laughing

Now that's just showing off! Laughing

I quite like the soft texture of very young COTW myself, it reminds me of oyster but I get that it's not to everyone's taste. I wonder how it'll be on the bitterness scale? I've never had one off of a ornamental cherry, our local ones all seem to favour chestnut & oak.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home