Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
MET

Chickens - are there any garden plants they wont eat?!

I have a few chickens in my garden for the eggs Very Happy

but they keep eating my plants! Rolling Eyes

is there anything I can plant they wont touch? Question
Bebo

Not much. The seem to leave our roses alone and they don't touch the mint that's springing up through the garden path.
dpack

if they have plenty of things they like they will leave some of the things you like .

i have noticed that many things considered weeds in a garden are salad delux to chooks ,chickweed being a good example ,fat hen is another of garden plants young peas are always in need of a fence if you have chooks

the dirty 4 dozen didnt seem to be too bothered by salad as they had acres of it but some were very keen on hunting (including baby rats using a weaner piglet as a jcb to get at the nests.)

my gran only let a few "special"ones in the garden to catch pests now and again and she had growing and raising in separate areas that rotated to get the benefit of chook cleaning /fertilizing without the destruction.
earthyvirgo

My neighbour has two chickens in her back garden - they ate everything in sight. She eventually let them go to a more suitable home, where they had plenty of room to roam and no rules about what they could, and couldn't eat.

Her rabbit however is still eating everything!
I watched him get up on his hind legs the other day and nibble the succulent tips from a whole wigwam of sweet peas.
He's not daft.

EV
Spruengli

Mine won't touch euphorbia (sap is an irritant - for people as well!), irises, paeonies, buddleia, hollyhocks, catmint, artemisia, pinks, echinops. Pretty much anything else has to be protected or only survives above the 'browse line' Rolling Eyes
Shan

Not much. The seem to leave our roses alone and they don't touch the mint that's springing up through the garden path.

Ours love roses. The ducklings do too and if one of the roses are anywhere near the edge of the fence line they jump up to eat it. Little blighters.
chez

This. And mine eat rose petals, too.

Shrubs and chicken wire around things you want to keep are the way forward.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home