Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Nicky cigreen

chickens for brooding

my blue marans don't seem inclined to go broody much - which is a good thing, but I would like a couple of girls to raise chicks for me - what's the best breed to go for? silkies? aren't they a bit small? is there a particular flavour silkie or doesn't it matter?

any thoughts on the above?
Bungo

Indian game seem a pretty broody lot , I have one at the moment gone broody.
Bodger

A silkie cross takes some beating. Crossed with a Light Sussex or a large game hen, the resulting cross is bigger, retains the broodiness trait and tends to lose the feathery legs. Ideal.
Nicky cigreen

hmm yes a silkie cross makes sense - thanks
Shan

Another vote here for Indian Game. Excellent mothers.

We have a couple of Hamburg Bantams - again, excellent mothers. The one who hatched 8 guinea fowl is still running round with them as Leader of the Pack even though she is half their size. Laughing
SandraR

Indian Game fan here too or a Game cross. In November one of my Game covered 19 eggs hatched and reared 17...you can't ask much better than that. Very Happy

My Speckled Sussex are also very reliable.
Nicky cigreen

maybe I should give IG another go - the only one I reared before was tiny
Shan

Ours were on the big side. We had the most fabulous IG cockerel called Boris. His crow was a bit odd (it reminded me of a boy whose voice had not completely broken). Poor thing, he did try ever so hard to crow properly. Laughing
chez

Another vote for silkie-Sussex here. If you put a lf gold silkie cock over a Sussex hen, you get sex-linked 'gold top' hens. I keep setting myself up to try it and then getting side-tracked.
Woodburner

silkie x goldtop also sit like it's a competition, especially the smooth feathered ones. Better than the goldtops imho, although I haven't actually used them, the goldtops didn't go broody until they were over a year old, and even then they looked like they weren't sure if they were doing the right thing.
Bodger

Some big IG can be quite clumsy with the eggs and chicks.
Nicky cigreen

just remember the broody i use atm is IG/Ixworth i think
Bodger

Thats a big beggar then, lets hope that she has dancing feet. Very Happy
Nicky cigreen

she's been ace - mostly we foster chicks onto her though. She is really mean and protective! - but she is knocking on. I need broody futures. Smile I have a plan...
Bodger

Its only in the last few years that I've started to use incubators. Prior to that its always been broodies. If I had some really precious eggs and I'd got a tried and tested broody handy, then it would be a broody every time.
SandraR

I always prefer to use reliable broodies and run a flock of six or so. I never mind how many eggs I get from them, they more than earn their keep each year rearing chicks.

This year I too need to mark out a few replacements as the original gang are getting on.

I have 9 Welsummer X Indian Game youngests I'm hoping will show promise - as long as the brooding instint from the Game is stronger than the Welsummer gene they should be OK.
Nicky cigreen

I always prefer to use reliable broodies and run a flock of six or so. I never mind how many eggs I get from them, they more than earn their keep each year rearing chicks.

This year I too need to mark out a few replacements as the original gang are getting on.

I have 9 Welsummer X Indian Game youngests I'm hoping will show promise - as long as the brooding instint from the Game is stronger than the Welsummer gene they should be OK.

one of the welsummers I had from you likes to brood so there is hope in them there genetics Laughing
SandraR

Very Happy Yeah I have one that likes the *idea* but I've never put her to the test.

The Game that hatched a brood in November came back into lay about 4 weeks later, she is now laying away so it won't be long before she 'disappears' again and I'll have to hunt for her. Rolling Eyes
Nicky cigreen

well, here is my hope for broody futures

we hatched two goldtops, as recommended here - so it is all your fault Smile
chez

None of mine hatched Sad. But I do have broodies of every conceivable breed coming out of my ears at the moment Smile
SandraR

Lovely looking bird. Smile

I kept 4 of the 9 WelsummerX Indian Game pullets (mentioned above)

They came into lay Easter weekend at 17/18 weeks old and 2 are now broody and refusing to budge no matter what.
Nicky cigreen

I have three broodies atm - they always arrive at the same time

one has managed to convert one plastic egg into 12 chicks (via some sneaky fostering on our part) Laughing
chez

We've just popped over to gythagirl's to pick up ten of Pompom-the-araucana-bantam's eggs; my pekin seems very keen, so I'm going to put half under her and half in the incubator.

(Did I mention my new incubator? Embarassed )
Nicky cigreen

I've got a really keen cuckoo marans - but she is such a hefty bird, I'm not sure.
leggy

I think 2 of my brahma bantams and one of my bantam mutts have gone broody,
And 2 of her pol ginger brown still haven't started laying yet Rolling Eyes
chez

I've got a chunky Barnevelder that's just come off with eight out of twelve, not trouble.

I've just filled up the new incubator. Literally. It's amazing how quickly you can get twenty dozen eggs without trying.
Nicky cigreen

I've got a chunky Barnevelder that's just come off with eight out of twelve, not trouble.

I've just filled up the new incubator. Literally. It's amazing how quickly you can get twenty dozen eggs without trying.

oh what do you have cooking?

I may have had a little accident and got some Vorwerk eggs...

not having much duck luck - between them my ducks were sitting on 31 eggs - the first failed the second hatched 2... I may be slipping muscovy eggs under broodies from now on...
chez

Oh just the usual, you know how it is. Faverolles, Barnebars, Cream Legbars, Barnevelders, Araucana bantams, Pekin bantams. It's part of my decluttering weekend. If I stick them in the incy, they aren't piled up six trays deep in our new, improved, tidy pantry. Nicky cigreen

Oh just the usual, you know how it is. Faverolles, Barnebars, Cream Legbars, Barnevelders, Araucana bantams, Pekin bantams. It's part of my decluttering weekend. If I stick them in the incy, they aren't piled up six trays deep in our new, improved, tidy pantry.

that is very tidy of you. well done. Laughing
chez

Thank you Smile foggy

One of my RIRs has gone broody. She's my favourite too. Still can't decide whether we can afford to attempt to hatch any under her! chez

Oh go on, you know you want to Smile. But try and pick them up rather than get them posted. Sandra R has some lovely birds and is in Devon Wink Nicky cigreen

Oh go on, you know you want to Smile. But try and pick them up rather than get them posted. Sandra R has some lovely birds and is in Devon Wink

and don't forget, Newton Market is this weekend and they always have hatching eggs ....
chez

Are you going? Castle Farm

I have 26 broodies sitting at the moment, with chicks or on eggs.

Any breed that has the tendency to sit when crossed with another breed that has the same 'gene' will give the majority of the resulting hens a double dose of the will to go broody.

Pure Indian X Australorp are my favorite. Bomb proof mothers and you can run about 20 chicks or 14 eggs under each proven sitter.

I 'harvest' chicks from other nests as they hatch to make up a larger brood and let the hen they came from hatch more.
Nicky cigreen

Are you going?

to Newton? prolly...
chez

I'm busy, unfortunately. And I have to go to Plymouth on Monday to collect a rabbit. sean

Tsk. Nicky cigreen

I'm busy, unfortunately. And I have to go to Plymouth on Monday to collect a rabbit.

am I going to have Angora-envy?
chez

Why yes. Yes you are Smile. Nicky cigreen

cheers

feel free to pop in for a cuppa on the way to rabbit
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home