Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
2steps

Children working in family buisnesses

Am I allowed to pay my children for doing little jobs for the business such as packing parcels or sticking stamps on etc? Andrew has asked if he can help out and I thought it'd be a good way for him to learn about and make himself a bit of extra pocket money. He will almost definatly go into school and be telling people he has a job so I don't want to be getting in trouble Confused he's 10
jamanda

Why would you get in trouble?
kevin.vinke

I thought it was 13-14 before you were allowed to officialy employ children and then only specific times and hours.
Other than that we encourage ours to "earn" extra money by doing odd jobs.
Greenfoot

Not at all....it is a private family thing and no different to helping with chores and getting paid for it. If they were working in dangerous workshop environments with hazardous substances then maybe but in your business...it your own business and no one elses.
judith

Greenfoot wrote:
Not at all....it is a private family thing and no different to helping with chores and getting paid for it. If they were working in dangerous workshop environments with hazardous substances then maybe but in your business...it your own business and no one elses.

Would that apply if she wanted to put any payments to her son through the books?
Greenfoot

Ah...then you are probably talking a different matter.....but would you really want to put such small amounts through the books anyway?...and all the extra paperwork it entails?

Another thought: paper boys and girls are allowed to work and get paid......don't know if there is a minimum age though?
Greenfoot

Just found this;

http://www.right-to-education.org/content/age/uk.html

Seems age is 13 for paid employment....looks as though it will have to remain a chore type arrangment
Penny Outskirts

Greenfoot wrote:
Seems age is 13 for paid employment....looks as though it will have to remain a chore type arrangment

Poo does that mean I can't use mine as slave labour anymore Sad
goldy1

no just don't pay them, Laughing
Greenfoot

not at all...just keep em chained. Laughing
Penny Outskirts

goldy1 wrote:
no just don't pay them, Laughing

Ah - good plan Very Happy
Barefoot Andrew

Don't put the kids payments through the books - it'll be needless and endless accounting complications.

Either treat as as pocket money for chores as suggested, or pay yourself a little more to compensate.

A.
earthyvirgo

I've read (can't recall where at the mo) it is a tax efficient thing to do?

Suppose it depends on how much extra paperwork it creates.

EarthyV

ahhh, sorry, just read the age, that probably makes it quite different
Nick

Once the age thing is sorted, pay them the full tax free allowance. You can extract it from the business without paying other tax that way, I expect. And this would be avoiding taxes, rather than evading them, something the Revenue are entirely happy about. It might put them on an hourly rate of £1,000 an hour, if they only did 5-6 hours a year, but so what? Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home