Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
leebu

Chilli Beer

Was watching an old episode of "TV Dinners" the other night (hadn't seen the series before) and this episode featured a couple of nutcases who had a serious chilli obsession. One of their ideas intrigued me- chilli beer. Anyone tried this and if so could you recommend a recipe (and the best chillis for the job).
Treacodactyl

I've not seen it but some of the herb recipes I've looked at use 4 oz of herbs per gallon, so you could try starting there. Have you googled it?

(I've moved this to the home brewing section).
tahir

They were indeed nutcases, saw it too.
cab

I've seen chilli wine recipes (useful for marinades, apparently), but not beer. Wouldn't fancy it, to be honest!
judith

Chilli vodka, on the other hand, is lovely and warming on a cold day.
cab

Chilli absinthe, on the other hand, should be avoided at all costs, and when a mate hands you a glass of something at a party you should always ensure that it isn't chilli absinthe before knocking it back.
judith

What worried you most - the absinthe or the chilli?
Treacodactyl

What you need is a flaming chilli absinthe Shocked

I look forward to the Casualty episode where they have a party of people try this.
cab

Judith wrote:
What worried you most - the absinthe or the chilli?

It was the inflatable banana floating across the ceiling just at the edge of my vision that worried me the most. And the fact that no one else could see the banana.
judith

Laughing
joanne

Oohh Absinthe Shocked Last time I had any of that I had a very interesting evening Embarassed

That stuff is very dangerous - nice but very dangerous - Falling over and collapsing in a giggling heap is my usual reaction to it - goddess alone knows what I'd be like with a Chilli version of it.

I'm not going to even mention the idea to my chilli addicted OH - he's only ever had a small shot of the normal stuff at a friends house and 30 minutes later he was completely off with the fairies - not that he's on the same planet as the rest of us at the best of times!!!! He is one of those people who don't need chemical enhancements to be randomly strange, he manages that all by himself

Joanne

Thanks for the tips re Chilli absinthe Shocked

I quite fancy the idea of chilli beer. In my head it tastes like ginger beer only with more of a "kick"; in reality it is probably foul. But what the hell, nothing ventured nothing gained- 'bout time I gave my new indigestion medication a real workout.

No I haven't googled it but I will now. I was hoping someone else would have already been the guinea pig with a recipe. Guess muggins here will have to be the first.
leebu

'Twas me, if anyone hadn't guessed.
alison

Didn't you fancy the chilli ice cream then.
mochyn

The boy brought a bottle of paprika palinka from Hungary when he was home for Christmas: I haven't trieed it yet, but the old chap (very) occasionally has a drop: I think it's to see if he's remembering it correctly. Very pale straw-coloured liquid with a chilli in the bottom: very pretty bottle, too. Might have a go at it tonight.

If no-one hears from me for a while, call the Air Ambulance...
Blue Sky

jocorless wrote:
Falling over and collapsing in a giggling heap is my usual reaction to it

OK Jo, So can we take it that you are a regular user of "the stuff" then??? Very Happy
howdjyabe

chilli beer does exist

and it is actually very tasty and goes well with salsa etc. This was a small comericial brewery's job and i also hear it can be attempted via homebrew
joanne

simon wrote:
jocorless wrote:
Falling over and collapsing in a giggling heap is my usual reaction to it

OK Jo, So can we take it that you are a regular user of "the stuff" then??? Very Happy

I've just seen this Very Happy Nah I don't partake very often mainly because I don't actually like the taste of it

Joanne
sean

And I believe JD is more rock and roll. Although personally if I ever become a star I'm going to have Maker's Mark as part of my rider.
joanne

sean wrote:
And I believe JD is more rock and roll. Although personally if I ever become a star I'm going to have Maker's Mark as part of my rider.

Oooh JD - Definately my poison of choice - Does that make me a Rock Star? think I'm more a roll star (well I'm the right shape for rolling Twisted Evil )
sally_in_wales

Adding a split chilli to a jug of home made lemonade is seriously nice too. Adds just a certain something without being too scary. I believe Jerkymeister put me onto that one several years ago.

As for absinthe, would love a recipe for chilli absinthe, very partial to a drop of the old purest green myself.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home