|Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
Chilli Courgette PickleChilli Courgette Pickle
2.7kg/6lb Courgette finely- a mixture of yellow and green courgettes give a nice colour to the pickle
425g/1lb Onions finely diced
3 hot chillies very finely diced with seeds (more if you like things really hot)
1litre/2 pts cider vinegar
500g/1lb 2 oz dark brown sugar
225g/8oz Demerara sugar
3tsp dry mustard powder
Makes 6 x 425g/1lb jars
1. Steep courgette in the salt for 3hrs
2. Rinse the courgettes well and drain in a tea towel/muslin in a colander or in a jelly bag overnight.
3. When fully drained boil up the courgettes with the rest of ingredients (except sugar and cornflour) until the vegetables are just soft
4. Add the sugar and boil for 5 minutes.
5. Mix the cornflour with a little cold water, add to the pickle and then boil to thicken.
6. Pour into hot sterilised jars and put the lids on when hot.
Leave the pickle for a month to allow the favours to develop
Perfect timing, I am drowning under courgettes/summer squashes of every size and shape.
Ditto re the drowning.
I have made three batches of courgette chutney already, with only minor variations (very nice Sarah Raven recipe with dried apricots in, but still...).
This sounds like a welcome change.