Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
wellington womble

Chillies for gifts

I'd like to sow some chillies for Thingymas gifts this year. I want a chilli that will make a nice compact plant with lots of brightly, or even multi coloured, chillies on in early December. I have plenty of greenhouse space and a conservatory to keep them toasty.

What varieties might fit this brief? Any tips on keeping them alive and happy and looking lovely until December?
tahir

December might be pushing it, it's relatively easy to keep em going till November but then lack of sun makes them start going straggly

I think I'd go for any small fruited one, but you'll struggle to have a full crop on any in December

Others may have better experience
Cathryn

Could you give them the dormant plant along with a string of the dried chillies it produced in the summer with full instructions on caring for it?
gardening-girl

Homemade Chilli growing kit?
wellington womble

They don't germinate without a heated propagator, though. They aren't gardeners, so it's needs to be fairly simple. It will be only just December when they are given away.

I can always give it a go and bake biscuits instead if they look awful. What varieties are courful and not mega hot? I'm not much good at chillies. I wondered about numex twilight?
tahir

They don't germinate without a heated propagator, though.

I've never used a heated propagator

Quote:

I can always give it a go and bake biscuits instead if they look awful. What varieties are courful and not mega hot? I'm not much good at chillies. I wondered about numex twilight?

Most of the small colourful ones are hot, I'd probably go for apache or similar
wellington womble

Really? It's the only way I can get any of them to grow. I dont think I'm a natural though...
wellington womble

I should not browse chilli seeds. I should not browse chilli seeds. I should not browse chilli seeds.......
tahir

Really? It's the only way I can get any of them to grow. I dont think I'm a natural though...

Yup, I use an unheated one but for a few plants a plastic bag over the pot should do
Bebo

Praire fire are fairly compact plants. derbyshiredowser

[
quote=". I wondered about numex twilight?[/quote]

Really great chilli, medium and consistant heat good size crop and dry well.
dpack

i planted some mixed seed (a gift of assorted chillis from tahir from a few years ago that had got forgotten from the first planting)two weeks ago.they are in a seed tray of multi purpose and vermiculite ,cased in 5mm sand,the tray is outside but in a expanded polystyrene fish box with a sheet of glass on top that is in a sunny spot.

the first 5 are up Cool and the sand looks like general noriega's face Laughing i recon that is good for old seed and a low tech propagation regime

edited to save me from the apostrophe police Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home