Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Chez

Chiminia thingies / BBQs

These chiminia things. Do you cook on them? Or are they just for heating up the outside instead of putting on a jumper?
Nick

You can cook on them but they're far from ideal.
Chez

So what do I need, then, instead of a metal BBQ that I will forget to cover up and put away and will rust out and then burn through the bottom? It needs to be portable I think. I can't tuck it against the wall of the house to cook because the house is made of wood.
Nick

What do you want to do? Your want is a little vague. Smile
Nick

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=81565&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chiminea&start=0
sean

The finest portable barbecue known to mankind is available in the UK again.* And it has a lid.

*I can't claim all the credit but I'd like to think that my snotty email to Weber helped to change their minds about importing them to the UK.
baldybloke

You could try a Rocket Stove and griddle plate. Have a look at the Wild Stoves website.
Chez

Oooh, I quite like Mochyn's wheelbarrow idea.

I would like a fire, that I can cook things over outside. That it will also be okay to chuck a log on once the cooking is done.
sean

The Weber one works pretty well as a fire pit too.
Chez

You're just a weber pod person Smile
dpack

big wok,3 rocks as a stand if needs be

if looks and fasion are not important scrapheap challenge makes the best bbq/firepit and if planned for adaptability can do most jobs

good bits to have

sheet of corrugated metal ,reflector,big fire pit base or roof

bucket with holes ,bbq ,fuel store etc etc

wok with lid ,bbq ,pan,etc etc etc etc

old oven racks,bbq grid ,pan grid ,fire dogs etc etc etc

a few bits and bobs of grids

improvising kit will adapt to every job, an expensive and one job thing is daft in my humble but experienced opinion

ps tis great fun to improvise to high quality results,so far my best smoker was a small snake hole fire half a guiness barrel and a bit of flue pipe for a smoke generator,and an old tent frame covered in a dust sheet and a couple of blankets for a smoke house.cost nowt Laughing
buzzy

So what do I need, then, instead of a metal BBQ that I will forget to cover up and put away and will rust out and then burn through the bottom? It needs to be portable I think. I can't tuck it against the wall of the house to cook because the house is made of wood.

As alluded to in the thread that Nick referenced, what you need is a kitchen, then you can cook indoors, as rational people do. Laughing Wink

Henry
Cathryn

Chez, the barbie we use is left outside for half the year and then put over in the sheds. Into its fifth year now and its fine. The other Weber type is even older. Its even older but its stainless steel.
sean

These aren't bad to cook on and work OK as a fire too.
Other evil retailers are available. You should be able to pick one up for sub twenty quid on a special offer.
wellington womble

I had a cast iron chimenea. The chimney bot fell of a few years ago, but it preferred it without. I use to light it with charcoal, stuff it with wood forget about it for an hour or and them roast chickens, legs of lamb etc in it. An keep chucking the wood (and all the bindweed) on for the evening. Worked great for us. It live out all year and is still going string about 9 years later (apart from the chimney bit that met with an accident). I miss it a lot, and it worked great as a sort of outdoor roasting oven. When I do get a house again, I will build a pizza oven, and get another chimenea on the meantime.

The half oil drum we have as part of the spit roast is also great for BBQ/fire pit duty.
Nick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-28133096
Mistress Rose

Don't use petrol of any similar accelerant!!!! If the barbecue/chimenea looks as if it has gone out, have another go with kindling or fire lighter block. Too many people are injured, or like this unfortunate girl, killed because they use petrol to light a fire.

Know I am preaching to the converted here, but for any visitors that may be thinking about instant barbecues; don't put them in a waste bin until they are really cold all through. Ideally douse them in water to make sure. Place them on a surface that won't burn or get scorched, and never use a barbecue in a confined space such as a badly ventilated room or a tent.

We have had quite satisfactory barbecues with a few bricks and a grid over the top. We built a brick one in the garden, but had to take it down as we needed the space for something else.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home